+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Met a “Good ol‘ Texas boy“- how to show I’m interested?

Met a “Good ol‘ Texas boy“- how to show I’m interested?

I was looking for a handyman to do a small repair job on my Mom’s house. I found one who only lives a block away from her. Last week, I called him and asked if I could come by to talk about the job. He told me ‘Sure, no problem.’

He was home with his college-aged son and their two dogs. Being a huge animal lover, we began talking about animals then kids and grandkids. Fairly comfortable talking with each other. He’s in his 50’s (same as me), divorced for years and he’s cute! But, he is shy and kind of quiet. He seems to be from the ‘old school’ ways. There was a lot of “Yes ma’am, No ma’am” type talk. Very respectful. One of those down-to-earth Texas boys. Whereas I am very outgoing/talkative.

I’m used to meeting guys who are outgoing, talkative and computer literate. We’d communicate through email/text/IM, etc. It’s so much easier (for me anyway) to get to know people through those methods-- easier to ‘talk’ to them. This guy has no computer-- knows nothing about them and he has a regular house phone-- not a cell phone.

I’m going to see him tomorrow when we meet at Mom’s so he can give an estimate on how much the job will cost. Once the job is done, I won’t have a reason/excuse to see him again.

How can I let him know I’m interested in seeing him in a subtle way that won’t overwhelm him/ scare him off?

you're in your fifties, is this a new concept to you? how to ask a guy out.... you just ask him
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Haha! No it's not a new concept for me. Most guys I meet are as outgoing, talkative and flirty as I am and I have no problem communicating with them especially when communicating electronically where I feel more open and brave (so to speak). This guy is so shy and quiet. I'm afraid if I ask him out, he might think I'm a 'brazen hussy' or that it'll scare him. I'm just trying to think of a subtle way to let him know I'm interested.

once you smile at a guy or even talk to him for 5 seconds, they think you're interested. the nature of the beast. find a way to give him your phone number for when he might get something in for you to buy from him that you really 'need'. i'm sure you can think of something, smile when you give your number so he knows to call you and ask you out. he's old school so if he doesn't call i reckon just leave it
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

That sounds do-able! Hmmm... might work.

Well! It went pretty smooth! I met him at my Mom's to give us an estimate on the door repair. It turned out to be something simple so he fixed it then and there and free of charge! How nice of him!

I walked him out and told him thank you, then asked if he'd like to go out for coffee sometime. He said "Now, ma'am, I ain't lookin' to get married or any of that." I laughed and said, "I just said coffee, not anything about marriage! I'm not looking for that either. I just thought it'd be nice to get to know you better." So, he agreed and said he'd call me soon.

Sweet.