+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Happiness

Happiness

"Where can I find peace and happiness is a question that is constantly asked by men and women. In my previous psychology courses, I’ve read that happiness is a choice and a state of self-actualization of discovering who you really are. Wikipedia actually defines peace as a mindset generally associated with bliss and happiness. Wikipedia also define happiness as a state of mind or feeling such as contentment, satisfaction, pleasure or joy.
    When you ask most people what peace and happiness mean to them, they usually answer: “they would be happy if they were rich and successful, if they met their ‘perfect’soul-mate, or if they had the ‘perfect’ job. Most of the answers I’ve ever received consisted of external conditions. In the past, I’ve even been guilty of giving the same “if I had” answers.
    This thought process could lead to a harmful cycle. We (myself included) can be so caught up in the superficial definition of happiness; we tend to overlook the small joys of life. Of course, everyone wants to be successful financially, but how fulfilling would that be without happiness? Could we really be at peace if our bodies could not sleep the 7-8 hours of required rest because we don’t truly have a peace of mind? Money and success can’t replace the intimate moments shared with your significant other, the joy you receive watching your kids’ smiles, or the shoulder of a solid and trusted friendship.
    Though I don’t believe that our behaviors and emotions are 100% scientific and textbooks descriptions are not always an accurate and proven theory of humans, I do have to agree with the psychology definition of happiness above. Happiness is a choice and a state of self-actualization. I choose to be happy and though I realize that I am not perfect, I’m a lot better than I was yesterday. I am free to voice my feelings. And most importantly, I have the option of a better tomorrow."
    -RobynNea

Nicely written and perceived, the little things are to easily forgotten
    A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable.
    Robert Fripp