View Poll Results: Would you rather be given a number or be asked for yours?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Asking for my number shows confidence. I'm more likely to end up on a date if a guy does that.

5 71.43%
  • Asking for my number is too pushy. I'm more likely to end up no a date if a guy gives his.

2 28.57%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girls: Would you rather be given a phone number or be asked for yours

Girls: Would you rather be given a phone number or be asked for yours

So, there was some discussion about this on another thread and it got me interested.
    The question is, which approach is more likely to yield a date with you. All else considered equal.

Also, I would love to hear about your comments on following scenario:
    You've been approached by a guy. Let's say he's not George Clooney but just an average guy instead. You start a friendly conversation with him and it's not awkward. You guys must part ways. Imagine that in the situation, you would find him creepy if he asked for your number. Let's imagine that he gives his number instead. How likely would it be that you call him afterwards? Keep in mind that you would find him creepy if he asked for your number. Would you find him more confident or shy compared to a situation where he does ask for your number?

Yet another question (I can't be arsed to make polls of all these): Would you rather be asked for some other contact information such as FB or email instead of your phone number?

I would also like to hear experiences from guys, even though they can't participate the poll.
    Thanks for your responses
    Last edited by Yet another guy; 02-09-11 at 09:18 PM.
    You can't buy love, but you pay heavily for it.

I'd definitely prefer having his number, rather than him having mine. That way I have time and space to think about whether I'm interested or not, and to decide whether I should contact him. I hate it when guys act all pushy. Oh I don't mean that any guy asking for my number would come off as pushy. It's just that I don't like giving my personal info to strangers. Besides, if a guy gives me his number I also take it as a sign that he is actually interested in me enough to take the "risk" of never even hearing from me again.
    Last edited by searock; 02-09-11 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks for reply How about your response on the more detailed scenario?

You mean, how likely is it that I'd call him? I dunno, depends on what else I have going on at the moment. If I'm currently not seeing anyone and am interested in dating, and I didn't find him repulsive or terribly boring/a jerk/etc, then why not, I might as well text him to get to know him better.

What I meant by the scenario was to consider just the fact that you would find him creepy if he asked for your number. Would that not affect the likelihood you will contact him if he gives his number instead?

Him not asking for my number would not affect my eventual interest in him one way or the other. But him asking for it would probably be a negative point, especially if he insists.
    Last edited by searock; 02-09-11 at 09:47 PM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Searock's position is a rarity. Most women would rather be called, though younger women are often more tolerant of adopting the traditional male role these days.

I wouldn't call someone who gave me their number, at least, not initially.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Yeah, I realize I'm probably in the minority since I really have a thing about not giving my personal info to people I don't know, and I find it creepy if they insist.
    Last edited by searock; 02-09-11 at 09:54 PM.

So then here's a question: Is it appropiate to ask a lady for her number the same day you meet her? Especailly if you know you'll see her again (ie work, school, gym, etc)? Sorry Just Another Guy, don't mean to hijack your thread.

And what about the attitude of "If it were meant to be, we'll see each other again"?

sadie_genie Guest
    I like a guy asking me for my number and also giving me his. And then, he calls me first. If he just ask me for my number, I would most likely not give it to him if I just met him. If he gives me his number only, I would probably not call him. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    Yeah, I realize I'm probably in the minority since I really have a thing about not giving my personal info to people I don't know, and I find it creepy if they insist.
    I appreciate everyones opinion But I do have the gut feeling that you're in the minority which is why I was so confused about the conversation in the other thread.

@muddblood
    No problem, that's a good question. I know I've been blown off indirectly by saying "maybe" when I asked her out and being told that she visits there often (a gym). Well, I never saw her again.

Why won't you call him if he gives you his number? Even if you like him...

sadie_genie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Laren View Post
    Why won't you call him if he gives you his number? Even if you like him...
    This: (10 characters)

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Searock's position is a rarity. Most women would rather be called, though younger women are often more tolerant of adopting the traditional male role these days.

I wouldn't call someone who gave me their number, at least, not initially.

Yeah, I always make sure that we both have each others numbers. But that's esstentially the same as asking the girls numbers since the girl won't call if she knows that guy has her number.
    Last edited by Yet another guy; 03-09-11 at 04:48 PM.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Always ask for their number. ALWAYS.

If they say no, accept it immediately and don't act like your feelings have been hurt.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast