+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I'm surprised at how many below average looking women there are

I'm surprised at how many below average looking women there are

After looking through many online dating sites, I'm surprised at how many below average looking women there are. It seems like even someone as ugly as me could get a gf if I tried.

Everyone says things like this but if everyone is below average then doesn't that mean the average is just lower than your expectations? Average by definition is the middle of the group or what level the majority are. I don't think the average is any lower online than off. I think people just fail to realize what people look like in a normal photograph without any professional work. Most of those people you wouldn't think look half as bad if you met them in real life instead of a flat photograph that is often taken by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by john1257 View Post
    After looking through many online dating sites, I'm surprised at how many below average looking women there are. It seems like even someone as ugly as me could get a gf if I tried.
    So, how much interest are you getting?

Perhaps they are thinking the same about you.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

They're on a dating site for a reason. . .then again, so are you OP
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

this is a little offensive since I am woman... it's probably that you're either on the wrong dating site or you just have different taste. But anyways i'm using okcupid and i get messaged alot.. it's either they don't know how to dress up in the picture or doesn't put on makeup.

I don't know what age group you are looking at, but I can say the same for guys. There are also below average men on the site. But really? does looks really matter? Not really. I like this guy who isn't that good looking but I don't care. i have liked guys who didn't look cute or hot or that good looking, it's all about how you see it and how you connect with that person. Some handsome guy are with ugly girls. Pretty girls with ugly guys. You would wonder why they are together but it's not about appearance. So you should not be so bias and judged girls appearance but read their profiles to see if they are what you are looking for.

You sound like a player to me cuz you're only looking for pretty/hot/cute/sexy girls, but once you fall in love you wouldn't care about their appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by iamminzy View Post
    But really? does looks really matter? Not really.
    On a dating site, it seems that looks really do matter, yes.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I am likewise surprised by how many unattractive men there are in the world, only for me, unattractive means a lot more than just looks. In fact, unattractive people often come in pretty packages.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you're truly surprised at how unattractive they are online you went in with wrong expectations. What did you think they'd look like "Lavalife" girls? Please.

And yes, looks matter to a very large degree online, I'd say even more so than in real life. But since the ugly chicks are on there, there are just as many ugly dudes willing to tap them. I suggest you lower your expectations just like the ladies did.

What is physically unattractive to you, is physically attractive to somebody else. There is no such thing as an "objective beauty" when it comes to people's looks.
    I find your surprise quite funny (and completely absurd).
    If you do want a gf then yeah, you should definitely "try".

Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    I suggest you lower your expectations just like the ladies did.
    Most men on dating sites already have low standards. The women are the ones with high standards.

tremolo Guest
    Studies have shown that men have far lower standards when it comes to a woman's looks than women do when it comes to men's looks - meaning that a man will find an average looking women more attractive than a woman will find an average looking man. The irony is that women are more willing to overlook physical deficits than men are.

sadie_genie Guest
    It seems like even someone as ugly as me could get a gf if I tried.
    Most men on dating sites already have low standards. The women are the ones with high standards.
    If women are the ones with high standards then you are screwed (not in the good way).

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    The irony is that women are more willing to overlook physical deficits than men are.

That may be the case in general, but online l don't think that rule applies.

It kinda seems this way to me:

The top tier, for want of a better term, of 'really attractive' women get attention from the 'really attractive' 'attractive' and 'average' guys.

The 'attractive' women also get the same attention. However, they also feel they should be able to go for that top tier of 'really attractive' men, and as such keep their standards very high.

The 'average' women get attention from guys top to bottom of the scale and can be choosy because they have a wide range of choice.

The 'below average' women probably don't get so much attention because the 'below average guys' are often delusional and think they can do better and the 'average' guys don't want to lower their standards either.

At the same time, the women in this tier also think the same, and so those near the bottom of the looks scale end up not having much success as neither of the sexes choose to lower their standards to what is realistically their 'level'.

lt may seem horribly superficial, but then again, online dating IS in general horribly superficial.

Now, this is entirely based on what l have observed from my and others' experiences. The rest of you may have different takes on it.

However, with online dating it seems you can be perfect for each other on paper, but if the photo doesn't fit, or the height isn't right, then it's a no go in most cases.

Looks will almost always trump all other factors, with both sexes, but perhaps moreso with women.
    Last edited by maxmax; 03-09-11 at 10:15 AM. Reason: correction

I'm getting a vibe that that may not be true.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

OP, you should try the Hollywood dating site. I hear Megan Fox is there. Good luck.