+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My girlfriend a new house... I'm confused

My girlfriend a new house... I'm confused

Hi guys, please let me know what you think about this... recently, I told my gf that I'm working (painting, cleaning up, etc) on a house I bought recently. Basically, I said "when we marry, you don't have to do anything, I have you covered".
    But... when I told her this, she said something similar to: "I like that you're taking the lead, but why don't you move to my house? it's bigger".
    By bigger, she means a little more space in the living and dining room.
    I did not know what to say to her. After thinking about it for a while, I felt disappointed that I'm working on setting up a new space for us to live in, in a nicer area of the city than where she lives, and she tells me this.
    What do you think? am I making a drama? what would you do?

As a little background... We have been together for three years total; we've had issues in the past and broke up a few times. However, we got back together recently, for good. I bought the house before we got back, she saw it too and liked it very much.
    To top it off, before we had this talk about the house, I asked her to imagine me giving her the ring and what she would say... her answer: "I don't know, I would freeze, not knowing what to do". I thank her for being honest, but I guess she's not all that willing to marry yet... I don't know.

Ric is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    You're probably overthinking this too much.
    The house thing can be simply because she is used to living at her place and it's scary to move to a new place. Even scarier to be fully dependent on you as you imagine it to be. If you moved in with her the risk would be less. Considering you already broke up a few times I would say her fear is well grounded, even though you might be more confident of your relationship.

When it comes to marrying, how is she suppose to know exactly how she would respond? The only way to know is to ask her to marry you rather than asking her how she'd respond if you asked her to marry you.

Maybe she likes her house and doesn't want to leave it.

And frankly, if she's answering that way about you giving her a ring... maybe it's time to move on.

You do sound a bit controlling with your comment "When we marry" when you haven't even asked her yet, and your assumption that she'll move into your house.