+ Follow This Topic

Thread: where do I fit in ?

where do I fit in ?

I have been seeing this guy and we have a lot of mutual friends. Two years ago he tried to make a move on me and I feared he was infatuated by me so I stayed clear of him. Three months ago he approached me and we exchanged numbers and we had our first date. I was careful not to get close to him and then I though what the hell. It was exciting and he was everything I wanted in a guy but better.
    I was out with him yesterday picking furniture for his new place. This was his firs big purchase and I was going to be on my best behaviour. The thing with this guy is that he can be crude and makes fun of my accent, ( he does not believe I have lived in the UK as long as I have). He makes me feel incompetent and a sort of trophy or sexual object. I still like him but experience tells me that I know where this is heading. I’m in two minds about this because he is the first guy that I have liked, but more importantly I don’t want to be hurt or make this experience horrible for him. I don’t know what to say or what to do to get him to back down and stop thinking I am stupid. I would appreciate some advice.
    Last edited by mary1234; 11-09-11 at 02:09 PM.

well, you can tell him what you like and what you don't like, see what happens

Maybe he doesn't know that you don't like his jokes. Communicate honey. And if communication brings up problems, you've seen enough signs to call it quits. But I think that if he really loves you, he'll understand.

Yours truly

the 6 word sentence
    Knowledge is NOT power; The APPLICATION of knowledge is power.

i think 6wordsentence right,he really loves you,he'll understand
    i wish i was in love and understanding

Just talk to him. Don't be scared of communicating. And if he really feels that way, then end things. Breaking up hurts. It always does. But don't let the fear of being hurt keep you from doing what you think is right. You deserve to be happy.

By the way, you didn't give a ton of information, but some of the things you said lead me to think that he might be possessive and borderline abusive in this relationship. And if that is the case, lose him quicker than you can even think about it.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Just tell him that his jokes are bothering you, if you've never told him you feel offended he has no way of knowing and probably thinks he's funny or something. And on one hand you say he makes you feel bad about yourself, on the other you say he treats you like a trophy - what exactly do you mean? Because you take pride in a trophy, but you say he keeps putting you down. I don't think he believes you are stupid, otherwise he probably wouldn't be with you, unless he's only in it for your looks, but he's probably just joking.
    "The right time is any time that one is still so lucky as to have."