+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend's Daddy Issues

Girlfriend's Daddy Issues

Girlfriend has a father that is very stubborn and angry. She is 22 and her father finances her college studies. Yet, he asks her to find a part-time job and when she's not a yes-robot and wants to state her own opinions, he takes it as a no and starts shouting at her and sometimes beating her. She told me that he always beated her when she was a kid.

Now she doesn't know what to do because if she resists him and defends herself, he threatens her to cut his help and she will no longer be able to study.

I'm resisting so hard not to beat up his ass and I'm doing my best to support her. I don't want to interfere between her and the family but I'm very worried at the same time. What would you recommend me to do in this situation? Please help.

I don't know what you mean by beat her, but if it were my g/f, he would have to fight me and at least one of us would be in the hospital; even if it was just me.

Second, it is possible to work and put yourself through school at the same time. People do it everyday. Your g/f wants her dad to pay for school, she should stop being lazy and get a part time job like he asked. Ungrateful , spoiled child.

Beating her is not right thing to do, so he should stop doing that...
    But backuporgetsting is right... since she is 22, she is old enough for her to look after herself and start working either part-time or casual etc while she is studying to be more independent.
    Her dad just want her to be more independent, doesn't want her to be spoiled and doesn't want to pay for everything.

2 sides to every story! 22 year old girl aren't always accurate on their statements ya know.

If true, you and her should move out and support yourselves like everyone else. This guy is toxic if what she says is true

Well beating her is not the answer but if she doesn't like the way he treats her she should get a full time job, move out and then put herself through college on a part-time basis or, through correspondence courses or at night.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

yeah I was a full time student AND got a part time job, and while it can be tiring at times, it wasnt HARD. Shes freaking 22 and hes paying out the ass for her to go to school, getting a job is the least she could do. Also she should get a job to save and fund moving out of the house.

My wife is currently working and going to school, both full-time. If she doesn't want to be under the thumb of her control-freak dad (because that's what he is), she can do something about it.