+ Follow This Topic

Thread: People in the U.S. have the wrong idea about suicide, people in Sweden have it right

People in the U.S. have the wrong idea about suicide, people in Sweden have it right

Suicide is illegal in the United States. One will be arrested and committed, committed to a psychiatric hospital if one attempts suicide in the United States. They need to get some help, is the U.S. attitude. However, this does not take into account human suffering. What of the paralysis victim or the accidentally blinded? These people should not have to go through a subpar life that is an indurance test. Life should be comfortable enough that you are not sick and in extreme pain everyday. The Swedish understand this pain threshold and they legalized suicide and created euthenasia clinics for assisted suicide.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by PainfulLonging View Post
    Life should be comfortable enough that you are not sick and in extreme pain everyday.
    Good. I agree.

If you are hoping to get the religious nutbars posting on this, forget it.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Hmm, interesting point, but suicide is a selfish decision, and impacts other people as well.

Really, suicide is a ****ed up grey area. It would be better if people did not commit suicide, since it causes a lot of pain and sorrow to family and close friends... but in the same breath: euthanizing does have its merits.

Also why is this in the ask male? o_0 Would males look at this question differently?

So you should indure a painful life for your family? What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTooya View Post
    Hmm, interesting point, but suicide is a selfish decision, and impacts other people as well.

Really, suicide is a ****ed up grey area. It would be better if people did not commit suicide, since it causes a lot of pain and sorrow to family and close friends... but in the same breath: euthanizing does have its merits.

Also why is this in the ask male? o_0 Would males look at this question differently?
    His family are the selfish ones! They are making him live for them while he suffers every day. It is not them doing the suffering.

What if your family is watching you suffer, screaming in pain every day? They'd rather see you float into peace which is what euthenasia doctors say they can help you do. I actually watched a family watch their son suffer for years and when he expressed his wish to die painlessley and cleany after alll those years of watching him in pain they finally just agreed with him. If they love their son they would allow it. If they want to hang on to him for their own selfish reasons thats just mean because they can't let the memory of who he used to be go. His name was Michael.
    Last edited by PainfulLonging; 20-09-11 at 01:38 PM.

It would be better if people did not commit suicide, since it causes a lot of pain and sorrow to family and close friends... but in the same breath: euthanizing does have its merits.
    Thanatology is an interesting topic. One thing to remember is that death is harder on the living.

When it is my time, I will go to a state that has assisted euthanasia.

I hope PainfulHemmorhoids is having suicidal ideation.

And it's not selfish to expect someone to endure pain for you? Pain most likely beyond your comprehension? That's not selfish?

We don't force animals to suffer, but grandpa, he gets to lay in a bed in his own filth, humiliated, shamed and in agony because, y'know, we'd sure feel sad if he were gone.

Disgusting. One day people are going to look back at us and call us barbarians, and rightfully so. I was born with one right. Not equality, not liberty. I was born with the right to life. The right to live OR die.

If anyone DARES to try to take that right from me I will fight them with everything i have. I will fight every bit as savagely and lethally for my right to die as I would my right to live. I only hope that when my time comes I live in a civilized world. Failing that, I hope I have enough strength to cut down anyone standing in my way and the peaceful end every human deserves.

A bullet in the head isn't a peaceful end, and that's not how I plan to go. But that might just be how the pharmacist who refuses to sell me a bottle of pentobarbital goes.
    Last edited by Jazzersize; 21-09-11 at 05:39 AM.

Wow, you're cool

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    I hope PainfulHemmorhoids is having suicidal ideation.
    Saying rude things to people on the internet that you don't even know.

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzersize View Post
    And it's not selfish to expect someone to endure pain for you? Pain most likely beyond your comprehension? That's not selfish?

We don't force animals to suffer, but grandpa, he gets to lie in a bed in his own filth, humiliated, shamed and in agony because, y'know, we'd sure feel sad if he were gone.

Disgusting. One day people are going to look back at us and call us barbarians, and rightfully so. I was born with one right. Not equality, not liberty. I was born with the right to life. The right to live OR die.

If anyone DARES to try to take that right from me I will fight them with everything i have. I will fight every bit as savagely and lethally for my right to die as I would my right to live. I only hope that when my time comes I live in a civilized world. Failing that, I hope I have enough strength to cut down anyone standing in my way and the peaceful end every human deserves.

A bullet in the head isn't a peaceful end, and that's not how I plan to go. But that might just be how the pharmacist who refuses to sell me a bottle of pentobarbital goes.
    Yeah, this is way over the top.

Suicide is illegal in the United States. One will be arrested and committed, committed to a psychiatric hospital if one attempts suicide in the United States. They need to get some help, is the U.S. attitude. However, this does not take into account human suffering. What of the paralysis victim or the accidentally blinded? These people should not have to go through a subpar life that is an indurance test. Life should be comfortable enough that you are not sick and in extreme pain everyday. The Swedish understand this pain threshold and they legalized suicide and created euthenasia clinics for assisted suicide.
    You're referencing 2 kinds of suicide here and putting them in the same light. Those who are commited to psych wards are the young, the physically able, those who aren't in a sane state of mind. And there are those who are living in suffering, who are debilitated, old, have incurable illnesses that affect their every day lives.

I agree the latter should be given a choice, but not the former. And that said, your facts are wrong too.

Sweden does not have a law against suicide, but anyone who assists will be charged with manslaughter. You might be thinking of Switzerland, which is one of only 7 countries in the world that allow assisted suicide. Guess what one of those other countries is: USA!

In Oregon, Montana, and Washington state, assisted suicide is legal for those who are hopelessly ill or in terminal suffering.

So if you're going to start a controversial topic, get your sh*t right.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Over the top is rotting in bed as cancer eats away at you, or worse yet, your "loved ones" hooking you up to a machine for 20 years. I don't take torture lightly.

MY life MY death. The filthy idiot masses WILL butt the **** out when I decide my time has come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzersize View Post
    Over the top is rotting in bed as cancer eats away at you, or worse yet, your "loved ones" hooking you up to a machine for 20 years. I don't take torture lightly.

MY life MY death. The filthy idiot masses WILL butt the **** out when I decide my time has come.
    Unless you're a celebrity, the idiot masses won't care about your suicide. And if you are a celebrity, they'll care because it will propel you into a legend and possible a source of idolization.

Saying rude things to people on the internet that you don't even know.
    I think that's a horrible exaggeration...

Calling you "people", I mean.

We should just start ignoring this poster! Every day some stupid comment and people still engage in conversation with him/her...