+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How important is money?

How important is money?

This question is for men and women. I'm 18 years old and have never had a girlfriend but now I'm ready to man up and get out there. One thing I have to know is how important is money to women? I know people say women are turned off by someone who doesn't make a bunch of money, but I find it hard to believe that women are really that shallow (at least the ones worth my time).

So, question one is: How important is money to women? (would like answers from both men and women)
    Question two: What IS or what else is on the "important" list?

I mean I'm happy with my situation making a little over minimum wage because money means nothing to me really. I'd rather have people in my life than money. But hey, I don't know that's why I'm here.

Thanks
    v1k1n95

Sorry, but I'm going to give you the shitty answer you already know.

It depends on the person. As a guy, I don't want to be with a deadbeat that can't pay their bills, and mooches off of me, and I have a hunch it just might go both ways.

Yeah obviously nobody wants to be with a deadbeat moocher, but I can support myself and I live a rather simple life is what I'm talking about. I even have enough saved to feel secure. I just wanted to know if not having a "salaried job" is going to work against me because if it is then I'm screwed. I know I'm worth more than my paycheck, but do women see it that way?

To me money doesn't matter so much as long as both partners are contributing equally.

Ditto with the moochers, had too many boyfriends who were more than happy to let me pay more than my fair share, it just leads to resentment.

My list of essential qualities (i'm assuming you mean qualities and not possessions?):
    - kind , caring, understanding nature
    - always happy to listen
    - generous (as much as he can comfortably afford) especially with his time and in the bedroom!

works hard not much money- fine
    could work and earn money but doesn't- massive turn off

Wel llId like to think you plan on making a little more than minimum wage? You cant rent, have a reliable car and much of a life on that.

I mean, if youre 24 and still making min wage, that be a deal breaking to most women i know. Are you working on an education?
    Last edited by surfhb; 05-10-11 at 06:58 PM.

At your age, it really doesn't matter. What matters is your personality, your attitude, and how attractive you are to her.

As long as you have ambitions to be something, and are making some sort of income, that should suffice.

Hope that helps..

as long as you can pay for your things are treat your date for a night out i would think things are fine.

Dumped dead beat who had child and no job and never wanted to see son to current bf with awesome job and goals in life. My main standered of improtance in a relatioship are.
    Have to have a car with a licence
    Perferable no kids (I hate the momma drama of that)
    A job (don't care how much they make)
    Highschool education
    And perferable moved out ( but I understand that's hard these days)

I would say at age 18 money isn't a huge factor. As long as you can hold your own, pay for dates and don't start asking women you're dating for money you should be fine. As you get older money will become more and more significant in relationships. I am starting to realize that now at age 25.

As long as you are attracted to low maintenance women I don't see you having a problem. There are women out there that have certain job titles and incomes on their lists of requirements from a partner but most of those women are looking to be looked after and then some rather than finding a decent relationship.

Finances are an important part of a relationship though. What is more important than earning lots of money is making sure that you and your partner have the same ideas about work and money. For my husband and I having a lot of family time together is more important than having lots of money.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Let me give you some perspective:

I'm a recent college grad, and, having done some college internships where I've gone out with girls and gone to bars etc., I can tell you that if you want to have any shot at dating, you must feel comfortable paying. i.e. forking over $50 for lunch or readily buying several drinks for a girl at a bar. You don't need to be rich to do this, but you'll need to be financially secure, minimum wage probably won't cut it. That's the way dating works--the guy must be generous, and shows he is willing to spend dough on the girl.

In the long-term, I don't know if money is important since I'm still just a college grad. but i'm pretty sure having made SOMETHING of yourself, in whatever career you choose, whether you are making millions or not, will be very attractive to fine women.

Money is quite important. I don't want a rich show-off guy but I wouldn't be a guy who doesn't do any work either. One thing guys should know is girls need loves and cares a lot more than money. It makes us happy and fulfill.

It's about sustainability. You need to be able to support another person, your mate, and children if they are a fruit of a relationship. That takes a good amount these days.
    Further, she is going to pick you on your capability of sustainability. Can you provide? Can you maintain? Can you sustain?
    She will help out as needed but you can't expect her to carry your weight.