+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dealing with regrets?

Dealing with regrets?

I made a life-defining decision 4 years ago, and it still haunts me today on a daily basis because the choice I ended up making didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. (i.e., chose to study at a college in a major that didn't really suit me, and now it is appearing to steer the course of my life...I've tried changing this course, and likely will continue to do so until I am satisfied. but in the mean time, I keep feeling regret day in and day out...)

Anyone else here have regretted a life-defining choice, and how did you overcome it (if you were able to?)

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I wish I knew what I was interested in doing when I was a freshman or sophomore in college. I didn't know my major until my junior year. At times I feel like I wasted 3 years.

On the other hand, I think about it now and I see how much I've learned in the past couple years about myself, who I am, and what I can do. I passed through at least 5 majors and learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes. I'm in my senior year and I've finally discovered my passion, but it's a little late to take more classes. I've decided I'll finish my current degree this year, and then get another degree in psychology if I can complete with one more year.

Don't fall for the illusion that there's a line you cross before it's too late to change your direction in college. It's never too late to change your major and try something new. Next semester, start taking some classes that you think you would enjoy and explore the major you want to study. If you're in your senior year, you should go ahead and complete your degree so you have something to put on your resume. Depending on your religion, you live one life; do everything you can do enjoy it and do what you want. Don't settle for a life directed by your mistakes. That's what I learned. Only today and tomorrow matter.

Thanks for the advice bro; problem is I've already graduated from college and also done a one year master's degree. right now I've basically said, ok, there are two "dream" career paths that I want to pursue. I've seen an opportunity for one of them, and so I'm going down this route for now. If it works, fine, if it doesn't within 2-3 years, then I'm changing courses to pursue the other career path... Trying to tell myself to stay positive and look to the future instead of past--let's see how well things work out.

I knew each and every decision I made would come back to haunt me. I was sort of self involved and didnt care. I hurt lots of people including me. Accepting karma and fate is what it is. You will die one day, dont regret it, just look at is as the path you took and it was different from each and everyone else's path; you are and were unique. No one will live your life again, no one will make the exact decisons you made. Its an awesome feeling when you can actually say to yourself that you did this, good, bad or indifferent, to yourself. Feel at one with what you do and have done.

And love yourself for it.

You're OK!