+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Steve Jobs is dead.

Sonrisa just knocked over that pedestal Jobs got perched on.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Sonrisa just knocked over that pedestal Jobs got perched on.
    as soon as I found that he was middle eastern this morning, I knew right away that he was evil
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

sadie_genie Guest
    Those things might be true, Sonrisa. But don't forget every major country in Europe and Asia who had gone through industrialization had a history of horrible working conditions for both adults and children (which was needed to develop their country's manufacturing capabilities). I don't disrespect Apple for shipping their products to be made in China; almost everything is made there anyways and if Apple had their products made in a country where the labour cost is high, our IPods, IPads, Macs, etc would cost 10 times more.

Also, his personal/familial issues still doesn't discredit his innovative, economic, and marketing success. Jobs is famous and remembered for what he did for Apple; not for whether he was a family man or not.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by sadie_genie View Post
    Those things might be true, Sonrisa. But don't forget every major country in Europe and Asia who had gone through industrialization had a history of horrible working conditions for both adults and children (which was needed to develop their country's manufacturing capabilities). I don't disrespect Apple for shipping their products to be made in China; almost everything is made there anyways and if Apple had their products made in a country where the labour cost is high, our IPods, IPads, Macs, etc would cost 10 times more.

Also, his personal/familial issues still doesn't discredit his innovative, economic, and marketing success. Jobs is famous and remembered for what he did for Apple; not for whether he was a family man or not.
    agreed. luck was on his side.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    Apple's factories in China have regularly employed young teenagers and people below the legal work age of 16, made people work grueling hours, and have tried to cover all this up.

With the complex at peak production, operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week to meet the global demand for Apple phones and computers, a typical day begins with the Chinese national anthem being played over loudspeakers, with the words: 'Arise, arise, arise, millions of hearts with one mind.'

As part of this Orwellian control, the public address system constantly relays propaganda, such as how many products have been made; how a new basketball court has been built for the workers; and why workers should 'value efficiency every minute, every second'.

With other company slogans painted on workshop walls - including exhortations to 'achieve goals unless the sun no longer rises' and to 'gather all of the elite and Foxconn will get stronger and stronger' - the employees work up to 15-hour shifts.

Down narrow, prison-like corridors, they sleep in cramped rooms in triple-decked bunk beds to save space, with simple bamboo mats for mattresses.

Despite summer temperatures hitting 35 degrees, with 90 per cent humidity, there is no air-conditioning. Workers say some dormitories house more than 40 people and are infested with ants and cockroaches, with the noise and stench making it difficult to sleep.
    Geezus. With several billion of them, do you think they would send me some of those workers? They sound great.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

In a tree somwhere (I'm on the fifth leaf on the 16th branch)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadie_genie View Post

Those things still persist today in western countries, the difference is that its happening a lot less and is a lot more covert, Asian countries don't mind that much of a publicity because they know that it no matter how much the west exposes them, the west still goes to them for cheap labor
    He who laughs last, thinks the slowest

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    A priest, muslim and a rabbi are sitting in a bar.
    A priest says: I am thinking of buying Citibank.

A muslim says: I am thinking of buying Microsoft.

And then they both look at rabbi.

The rabbi says:
    Dream on. I am not going to sell you shit.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345