+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Shy guys, what does it mean when you do this?

Shy guys, what does it mean when you do this?

I don't know if he likes me or not, and it's really pokin' at my ribs because I can't get him out of my mind :/
    So there's this guy at uni whom I share one class with and I really like him and I think he might like me back..... but I'm just so unsure because I never would've thought that someone would like ME.....(I'm really, really shy and I don't have many experience with guys) .
    Anyway, the problem is that he's also shy and quiet and we've never talked to each other except make a lot of eye-contact.
    So, here are the signs that he shows:
    -He looks at me a lot (I'll catch him looking at me whenever I'm not 'looking' and we'll make a lot of eye contact... he'll also turn his head back to glance)
    -He clears the doorway for me whenever we both try to get pass a door (he even yanked his friend out of the way once just so i could get pass (it was only me trying to get pass)) Basically, he'll just get out of his way and take a detour if he has to.
    -Most of the time he'll look at the ground a lot when I'm around.
    -I can actually FEEL him look at me when I'm not 'looking'.
    -He also tried to join in a conversation when i was 'talking' to his friends..... which he normally doesn't do 'cause he's usually really focused on his work.

But then:
    -He 'flirts' with other girls (but not in the 'player' kind of way)
    -He sometimes avoids me (he sometimes tries to sit away from me in class)
    -He's reeeeally popular... and I'm not.
    -We've never talked and it is EXTREMELY hard to talk to him because he's always surrounded by his friends and I don't have the guts to go up to him....

And then, I'm confused about this one because I don't know whther it's a good thing or bad thing.... well, his book was in front of me, and where he was, he had to reach over me or ask me to get to the book..... but he just stood there, scratched his head and waited really awkwardly until one of my friends gave it to him as I was reaching for it.

And the last thing is that I have a feeling that he likes me back (a gut feeling) but I don't want to get my hopes up.....well, what do you think?

I have no one else to tell because I can't see any of my closest friends for a while….Oh, and sorry if it was too long. I felt that I needed to get into detail so you could get the full story.

I know it might seem like a bit of drama, but he's my first crush in YEARS after a bad experience with the last... so I just need your opinions.

Thanks

okay, I'm a girl, but I would say go with your gut feelings.

Some things I've learned as I was also shy.

1. Don't tell others at school, because people have hidden agendas, bias, prejudice, jealousies. If you tell someone, make sure it's no-one connected with school.
    2. Don't ask him out in front of his friends or use his friends or your friends as messengers. Things get lost in translation/missed out/exaggerated.
    3. Try and get him alone, just you and him and try and say your feelings to him.
    4. Keep it simple when you express your feelings. Also try and keep it light and casual if you can, even if you feel otherwise ... (at least in the beginning)
    5. Try and find the right moment, ie not the day before exams or any time that is stressful the day before coursework is handed in.
    6. Good luck and keep in mind Steve Jobs motivational message from 2005. It's really inspiring ie go with your gut instinct and don't be drowned out by other's opinions.

Ayalillian;
    I feel your pain, hun. I really do. I know you want advice from a guy, but I'm hoping you don't mind hearing from a fellow woman.

If you catch a guy constantly looking at you, there's a possibility he likes you (or you have spinach in your teeth, you might want to check, haha!). But I'm more inclined to say he probably likes you.
    As far as the whole "flirting with other girls" thing.. guys do this to when they like somebody. They will innocently flirt with other girls to see how you react. If he sees that you get upset or jealous, then he knows you like him. If you didn't like him, why would it bother you so much?

I think you should go with your gut. Think up an excuse to talk to him. Don't make up lies or play dumb or anything like that, just be cool and be yourself. Things will probably start off slow at first, but they will eventually pick up momentum. Just be patient. Don't be afraid to talk to him. He's a human being just like you, so there's really nothing to be afraid of. Are you having trouble in this class that you two share? If so, maybe you can ask him how he's doing in the class. If he's doing well, maybe you can ask him to give you a few pointers or tutor you or something. I know it sounds lame ad cheesy and cliche, but it's true and it works. By asking for his help, you're making him feel more masculine. I can't imagine any guy that would hate that! haha

The most important thing is to just be cool. You don't want to be stumbling over your words when you guys talk because then he'll just think you're weird- and you don't want that!

Hey I am a guy and I think I can help you somewhat .

Well basically this guy sounds just like me and I can tell you right now, the fact hes always glancing back at you and making eye contact with you is a sure sign hes interested I can almost promise you. The reason he may get nervous around you or look at the floor is because of the same reason you are nervous around him, because you both like each other.
    Its sounds like you both need to talk to each other privately and be open with each other I know its not the easiest thing to just come out with your feelings, I am also a very shy guy. The reason he may try to sit away from you in class just shows how nervous he is around you he may feel intimidated but in a good way. He may feel just like you, afraid that you dont like him. I mean alot of guys dont know how to show that they like someone and can often give you mixed feelings but like I said find some way to talk to him alone or maybe even ask him out. I know its hard and you feel nervous and dont feel that nobody could like you. Everybody (including you) can find the right guy or gal. Trust me this guy likes you. He wouldnt push friends out the way of doors or keep glancing at you if he didnt. Another thing is when you next meet eyes in class smile really gently at him and if he smiles back thats a sure sign hes thinking about you. Or you could be really ambitious and just wait until he is alone and just pounce on him with your lips haha Im only joking but I would find that really romantic if a girl I liked did that to me

Just go for it, please for me I feel for you and this guy. I had a similar experience and we ended up together for 2 years. Thats not to say you couldnt last a lot longer . One more thing too, if you decide to just open up to him telling him how you feel, dont be over dramatic I mean just let him know you think about him dont scare him away
    Good luck , go and get him girl

Id say the best approach is for you to do something with this guy instead of just waiting.

If its going to happen you can make it happen intead of just waiting
    Gary Uranga, Writer of SocialSuccessMastery.com

From what you say, I would certainly interpret it to mean that he's interested.

I'm a shy guy, and I've had those eye contact things before but then follow through with anything. If you can't get him out of your mind, go talk to him. It is the 21st century now and is acceptable for a girl to ask a guy out. Don't know unless you try.
    Video to win back my ex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2CFehxElUU Show it some love

Haha, thanks for the replies you guys... :') I'm feeling a bit more assured that he does.... he's starting to look at me a lot more...

Thank again!

I'm a guy and I think this guy likes you. GirlOne has great advice too. Whatever you do, make your communication clear, but don't rush into things. You could say to him "Do you think you want to date me sometime?" or "What would you think about us dating sometime?" That's clear about what you want, but it doesn't put pressure on him. My rule is I always use the word "date", not "hang out", "go to the movies", or "go to dinner". "Date" is very clear. The other things can mean the dreaded "friend zone".

But don't say: "I love you and want to have your 9 babiez. ZOMG!!!"

Try to do things to get over your shyness. I was shy and taking a required speech class helped me. It forced me to face very public social situations and deal with them. Then I started work after uni, and started giving presentations to strangers, and that also helped my confidence.
    Last edited by bulrush; 22-10-11 at 01:39 AM.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)