+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Aimless...

Aimless...

So, I'm 23, and I've been taking college classes for about four years now, and I've changed my major every year. Thing is, I can't figure out what I want to do. Nothing really interests me, and I'm not particularly good at anything. But I hate still being in college, and I hate that I'm probably still at least four years away from getting a degree (and that's only if I could settle on a career path right now).

I'm at the point where I can barely motivate myself to get assignments done, or anything like that. I just have no real interest in any of it, anymore, so I put it off until the last minute.

I don't know what to do, though. I've been wracking my brain every year to figure out what I want to do with my life, but nothing ever sticks. I hate working my terrible part time retail job, but without a degree, I doubt I could get anything else.

The only careers I have dreamed about are just that -- fantasies, basically. Things that are probably silly (as the average person can't attain them, typically) and fantastical. I don't know how to get my aspirations grounded, though. So, what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
    The only careers I have dreamed about are just that -- fantasies, basically. Things that are probably silly (as the average person can't attain them, typically) and fantastical. I don't know how to get my aspirations grounded, though. So, what do I do?
    Name one.

Hah, I feel embarrassed even naming them, but the main one I really wish I could do is, well... for the longest time, I've really wanted to be a front man for a rock band. Ugh, it sounds so stupid even saying it, but I dunno. Just a "dream", I guess.

Hah, I feel embarrassed even naming them, but the main one I really wish I could do is, well... for the longest time, I've really wanted to be a front man for a rock band. Ugh, it sounds so stupid even saying it, but I dunno. Just a "dream", I guess.
    Well, if you're trying out things that you don't really like and end up getting nowhere, it's hardly as if you'd do worse by risking to fall short of becoming something that you think is unattainable. There's still lots of people who realize around their 30s that their career choice sucked and try to get into something different as a last resort, so you've still got time on your hands.
    And here I thought you'd say astronaut or something ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Well, if you're trying out things that you don't really like and end up getting nowhere, it's hardly as if you'd do worse by risking to fall short of becoming something that you think is unattainable.
    I suppose, but I wouldn't even know how to get into that kind of industry. I don't know anyone I could, like, form a band with, I don't think I could write my own material, heck, I've never even been to a concert.

I suppose, but I wouldn't even know how to get into that kind of industry. I don't know anyone I could, like, form a band with, I don't think I could write my own material, heck, I've never even been to a concert.
    Maybe you could start going to local shows and start talking to the bands at the shows or even the people at the shows (they might happen to be in a band or know people that are). You'd be surprised of the connections you could get through friends/friends of friends/networking. And you could write your own material...anyone can write...you can write about your own experiences, others' experiences, anything you want...listening to bands/lyrics you like might help too.

Hope that helped a little at least & that you find what you're looking for!

No dream is too little.

Just do it.

Hey,

For a start - stop worrying! You should be proud of yourself that you have actually admitted the fact that you can't stick with a career path. And this is very usual nowadays... The difference is that most young people don't admit this, and they just graduate with a degree they don't like, to only 'wake up' when they are thirty. Probably you have focused on this 'problem' so much that you just can't find a solution. The answer is to pay more attention to yourself - shift the focus. Stop thinking about the career choice, but rather focus on personal growth and discovering who you are, what your strengths as a person are, what you love about yourself. With this, slowly, you will discover the things you love doing, too. And don't think of people who don't have a degree as 'failures'! Maybe your path is different, just try to find your path!

All the best of luck from me!

do it ! just do it!

go on craigslist or some local place and talk to people and do it ! meet band type guys and get into it, be super nice to them, and learn to play the instrument. I don't know what front man means, but maybe start with an electric guitar ! do it ! you will have so much fun, dude ! you can do that alongside your job, and alongside your school work.

there are probably books at amazon.com that talk about how to start a rock band, and stuff like that. get a book or search online, and learn about it.

Look at me. I was fascinated by computers and I found out about computer animation , in 1998. I started studying computer animation in school (college) in 98, and up to this day I still cannot find anything more amazing and cool than that. You can check it out if you are interested. (I learned 3d studio max) I went to a college called the academy of entertainment and technology, in santa monica. and they have career fairs, and I got up the courage to talk to the recruiters because this is a booming industry. (most computer careers are in demand, and have high pay as well) so I met a recruiter and he brought me in with an internship, and I worked as an intern for 6 months, and then was hired and I worked for them. every day was fascinating for me, and I had to learn new things too, to get the work done. I found something that is really interesting for me, and thats the way to go. I could not do very well in a boring job, or something that is just dreary or dull.
    Last edited by michael_love; 13-09-12 at 05:23 PM.

just the other day I was driving by a suburban area, and I was like whoa ! cool. there was a garage door opened, and these guys were there with the rock guitars and stuff, with the speakers and stuff and wires and cables, and I thought that's rad, dude, these guys are doing their own band. Right out of their garage !

there are lots of bands in sweden ( another person on here is from sweden) and the usa has lots of bands, everywhere there are bands.

probably the most important thing to think about is what kind of music do you listen to , and do you like .... Then you should start to copy those songs , and play them, and see if you can get good at playing them. Then start to improvise and make your own songs.

Get yourself busy, try working and schooling at the same time. Maybe you can figure out what you want to do when you done a lot of things.
    [URL="http://www.leaderinus.com/15-things-you-should-give-up-to-be-happy"]
    15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy[/URL]
    Join me on [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Success-Diaries/274795532620180"]Facebook[/URL] now!

My advice is try new things. Go out and somethings raised in your dreams. If you like rockstars, looking around and find the opportunity participate in local shows. If you have time, try to be a collaborator of local newspapers, a waiter or even a salesman. You should talk ưith many people in many diferent industries, ask them about their jobs. And suddenly you will find something you like. Believe me, there are many things you love to do, many things you a compatible to do, many strengths you didn't discover. All you need is meet them once time to know that they exist in reality. Go out and take your life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We're same age and same problem also, Indestructible ! So, I understand your aim, your feel and your bothered !
    Fortunately, I did find my way to go, not clearly much but enough to know what I must do !
    2 years ago, I was so scared when thought about future, because it seem to be only dark.
    I was confused because of many problems : career, study, emotion, relationship... Among them, career is most pressured.
    I interest in alot things, have some available capacities, but I could not choose what I want to do most. So disappointed myself!
    But I thought all again that : If I only sit there, blame about all, and bored, finally I will kill myself.
    Only ONE CHOICE for me : JUST DO IT ! I did do anything I can : part time retail job with a litter salary; took part in a English class; joined in a English club; did any work related to my Sociology faculty (some sort term projects); studied hard with my group... I was busy all day that time.
    The most important thing I thought that : I would try to do perfectly any job I received by all ability, no considering I love it or not.
    And I realised that : All work I did also gave me a good experience: various friends, colleagues- every one is a mirror, a teacher. I learnt much from them ; or know more about the way to live... I found some main thing I want. It was seem slowly appear in my brain and show me how I will do to achieve them.
    The more I did , the more I knew my future !
    That way I found my aim , only "pick up your ass and JUST DO IT !"
    Hope you see your line soon !