+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Not Sure What To Do

Not Sure What To Do

Ok, I have a fairly complicated situation, and I am not sure what to do. I am a guy who has a best friend since freshmen year of high school, who happens to be a girl. I had feelings for her for the longest time, but after 3 years of waiting in HS, figured she would never break up with her bf for me so I moved on. I now have a GF of my own, and I love her, but i still have feelings for my friend. who has since briken up with her BF and is with this other guy. I dont want to hurt my GF, but I feel guilty whenever i say i love you because I still have feelings for my friend. Please Help...

It's not complicated at all. In fact, it's fairly simple.

Firstly, it's obvious that you don't love your girlfriend that much. You don't love her enough. And you have feelings for someone else! This itself will already hurt your girlfriend. And lying to her and feeling guilty is not making it any better. What you will have to do and it's difficult, yes.. is to first, break this to your girlfriend in a nice way. Let her know you have someone else in mind and you're not yet ready to be in a relationship with her.

Secondly, your high school best friend is in a relationship. So, even if you do realise that you like her, remember not to cross the line. Maintain a healthy friendship with her but don't try to sway her away from her boyfriend or whatever. Who knows what will happen in the future? Maybe she'll realise that he's not actually the one for her after all. But until that happens, don't think too much about it. Go out, meet people, have fun and enjoy life.

I do love my GF. Very much. She is an amazing person to be with. I lost feelings for my Best Friend for quite a while, but now they're starting to come back. And this, My best friend admits she had feelings for me up to the point that i started dating my gf. then she lat them go. idk how true the letting go part is because i know her, but would she still have feelings for me? and if i did break up with my gf, would i be in the wrong to ask to still be friends?

You need to make a choice. To me the choice is simple, drop the best friend. You have a good thing going with your girlfriend, so why make it any more complicated. If your bestfriend is for real and truely respects you, she well wish you the best of luck and allow you a bit of distance.

I think you need to either stay with your current girlfriend and forget about your High School friend and move on. Or you need to break up with your current girlfriend and take the risk.. But seeing as she is not currently available it may be more in your benefit just to forget about her.
    But to be totally honest, the person you should be think about the most is your girlfriend. If you dump her for a slight chance at your friend then you've broken her heart, if you stay with her but still can't get over your old crush then she'll just be second best and noone deserves that.

It is possible to care about more than one person, but you are currently in a relationship and so is your friend. My advice is to suck it up and deal with the uneasiness you feel. You aren't lying to your girlfriend unless you have told her you don't have feelings for your friend. Just manage the friendship and the relationship separately. Sometimes, dealing with things on their own merits helps you realize what is important to you.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!