+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Health and Well-Being...

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You don't have a frame of reference to make this claim LR, you are too young. Or, if you prefer, there is also hard data that says otherwise.

Look up medication rates, obesity.. the expansion of the DSM in the last 60 years. Iatrogenic. Victimization >> personal responsibility. Intolerance to unhappiness. Not everyone, but many more than past generations.

Health professionals ancedotes, like Vash.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

My point was, houses have always been broken and bad remedies have always been suggested. Personally, I blame Malthusian problems such as population strain.
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Very possibly, though so many kids are such drama queens these days, they may just be throwing the term around for attention. All I know is that I see a LOT of psych medication being prescribed. It's alarming.
    Gotta say though, psych meds do have their place. Risperidone has been great for my son.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I wanted to add, until recent times it's been known that Risperidone helps with significant behavioural issues in autism. But there wasn't clearance from the drug admin for doctors (here in Oz) to prescribe for autism, so the doctors would get around the red tape by diagnosing a mental illness. Crazy stuff when you've got to mis-diagnose to give the patients the help they need.

For what it's worth, I was anti medication for my son. Then puberty kicked in and all the wheels fell off. It's amazing how one's attitude can change when it's necessary.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Indi, I agree that there is over-prescribing of meds. However, some people DO suffer debilitating depression despite all the emotional support in the world.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ugh. I have no patience for those who speak the obvious. You are deliberately missing the real point and wanting sympathy for your specific issues. Whatever. You'll have to look elsewhere for my approval, sorry.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Who are you talking to, Indi?
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Whoever wants to claim this garb for themselves, I suppose. Equal opportunity self-flaggelation.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Whoa. Fatigued me is confused. Probably shouldn't be tackling heady subjects like this after such a long day. Forget I said anything..

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    Whoa. Fatigued me is confused. Probably shouldn't be tackling heady subjects like this after such a long day. Forget I said anything..
    It's my posts which Indi is talking about.

Indi, I'm not after your approval or your sympathy. I agree that the meds are over prescribed, but I object to blanket statements such as "we all did fine before the anti-depressant pushers came along" (paraphrasing). Not everyone did fine. And I believe such broad statements further ostracise those who do have mental health issues. And I'm speaking broadly - not about anyone in particular

The defunct mental asylum 1km from where I live is testament to everyone not being 'fine'.
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 24-04-13 at 03:39 PM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Gotta say though, psych meds do have their place. Risperidone has been great for my son.
    Absolutely, they have their place. My daughter also takes medication she NEEDS to prevent seizures, including a benzo, which breaks my heart. I do not object to ALL use, just the over-prescribing. But seriously, the biggest issue I have is with pain medication. I believe people have an unrealistic expectation that they should never feel pain.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Indi, I'm not after your approval or your sympathy. I agree that the meds are over prescribed, but I object to blanket statements such as "we all did fine before the anti-depressant pushers came along" (paraphrasing). Not everyone did fine. And I believe such broad statements further ostracise those who do have mental health issues. And I'm speaking broadly - not about anyone in particular
    Good. In this case I will invite you to re-read Vash's original post. Do you believe that 1:10 americans require antidepressant meds?
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Good. In this case I will invite you to re-read Vash's original post. Do you believe that 1:10 americans require antidepressant meds?
    No, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    But seriously, the biggest issue I have is with pain medication. I believe people have an unrealistic expectation that they should never feel pain.
    Funnily enough, I gave birth both times without pain relief. But I take a headache tablet if I don't have the option to have a rest. And if my daughter gets terrible period pain, I'll give her meds for that too. Horses for courses I guess.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Funnily enough, I gave birth both times without pain relief. But I take a headache tablet if I don't have the option to have a rest. And if my daughter gets terrible period pain, I'll give her meds for that too. Horses for courses I guess.
    The doctors in the Emergency Room wanted to give my daughter morphine for a migraine-like headache after she had a seizure. I mean really, who takes morphine for a headache? Obviously, I said no. All she needed was advil.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast