+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Unpopular girls who have gone with popular guys: How did you cope?

Unpopular girls who have gone with popular guys: How did you cope?

This could be for the same situation for both genders, but as a girl, it relates to me more.

Say you were unpopular (and really shy) and you started going out with a popular guy. And you weren't very close with his family or friends because you've never talked to them EVER before or you aren't close because you don't hang out with them...

If you are/were in this situation, how did you handle it? Was it awkward? Because I am really shy (sometimes awkward) and I'm "different", but I'm friendly and nice.

I appreciate your feedback, it's just been a question that's been lingering at the back of my head

Typically opposites attract since he obviously fills areas where you are weak which would be social situations and vise versa. The best thing for you to do is to not care what other people think about you. Don't change anything about yourself just because somebody thinks its weird or something they wouldn't normally do.

It isn't that hard to get over shyness, just go into things with a 'screw it' attitude. The more you don't care what people think about you, the more you find yourself more open and talkative.

I have been in this situation and this is how I got over it, with a 'screw it' attitude. Just be respectful.

If I were you I would just be myself and stop thinking in terms of "popular", "unpopular", "shy", etc. Forget about all those labels. Just be yourself and nice to others and that's really all there is to it. Nothing else matters.

I propose a teeny bobber section on this site please !

I would think that your opposite nature attracts him somehow. I feel that it is more complementary to his nature. Think yin and yang. I'd guess I'd just try to get to know the people he hangs with and his family a little better. Maybe he likes your shy nature?

Because I am really shy (sometimes awkward) and I'm "different", but I'm friendly and nice.
    Try to relax and get over your shyness. No one is out to get you, just be relaxed.

I saw a girl on TV that has 2 heads. I think she was on 60 Minutes. So, I don't think you have it so bad. Here's a Wikiipedia article. There are also some images on Google Images. Search for "girl with 2 heads".
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_and_Brittany_Hensel[/url]

Now think of one head making out with her boyfriend. What does the other head do? Awkward!
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Be happy about it.

Typically you don't know the friends or parents of someone you start seeing anyway, let him introduce you.