+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I stay or Should i Go ?

Should I stay or Should i Go ?

I have been going out with this guy for 9 months nw, bt ive known him for years. he used to be my best friend and i always find comfort in him. However, since we have been going out, he always critise me as he calls it 'constructive critism' which i somethimes find quite hurfull. whenever i confront him with it, he just seys that he is trying to make me a better person, which i can understand it but he somethimes forget that i am human with sensitvie feelings. I now feel that i have lost that best friend that i had, and in return got like a mentor, but i cnt imagine going out wit someone who is always trying to make me a better person, rather than cherish what he gots?

This made me quite insecure about myself and it made me compare myself with other girls that he knows, one in particulay my best friend. My boyfriend and my best friend are quite close, they are like brothers and sisters. For some reasons i do get quite jelous of their relationship because when he is around her he just forgets that im there, most of his attentiion goes to her. I confronted him, and asked him whether he liked her instead, and he sed no he doesnot, she is not really his type, nut my instinct telss me otherr wise.

so what do i do, should i remain in a relationship and work things out, or do i break up and wait for a guy that would treat me like a princess?

Aaaw yeah.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    He makes you feel bad and he thinks its justified. This will only get worse. Don't delude yourself, he won't change.

I say "go".
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

It's up to you to determine if he can be more mature. He sounds a bit immature, because he thinks criticizing you is ok, but he doesn't realize it hurts your feelings. Do you tell him what he's doing is hurting you and detracts from the relationship?

So, now I ask you this. Do you dump every guy that is imperfect or do you spend at least a little time trying to help them improve? The other question is, is it worth it helping them improve? Or will they even change at all? If they won't change, cut them free. You two are incompatible.

It's a good idea to put work into a relationship that is worth it. It's a bad idea to put work into a relationship that is just not worth it.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Go. He's mentally and emotionally abusing you. He's admitted this - he's "trying to make you a better person"...

Says who? He's trying to mold you into what HE feels is "better".

Run. Run now.