+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Don't want to make another mistake

Don't want to make another mistake

I have been with my boyfriend now for a little over a year and a half. We are two completely different people. He often acts immature, he's not passionate or driven to better not only himself but for his son. He lives up the saying “you’re all talk, no action”. One example he was at work and a girl recognized him and as he was telling me about it; he said I don’t know or hang out with any fat girls. Like he is too good to be around someone over weight. Who says that?! The day that Steve Jobs died, I was reading an article about him and said out loud how sad it was and how he was still young and my boyfriend looks at me and said "Why the h*ll do you care? Did you know him?" I just don't understand him. He comes to me for a lot of things and sometimes it can be good because I appreciate that he values my opinion but then again I feel like I am being a “mom” rather than a “girlfriend”. I want him to stand up and take charge, I want to feel like I am protected and for him to be the man. Just the little things in life seem to go completely over his head. For example: he would never rub my feet or head because he knows I like it. It would be because I asked him to and when he does it, it’s not sincere. He never helps around the house unless I am continually nagging at him; which of course I hate doing because I don’t want to be the nagging girlfriend. He jokes around a lot and acts like life is a party. I recently had back surgery and barely a day out of the hospital he was inviting friends over like it was a party or something. He always has something to say about someone and usually is picking on them but says he is joking. He is 26 years old and has an 8 year old son; when will he grow up? He doesn't know when to be serious. Seems like life is just a joke/party to him. His motto is “if you’re not having fun you’re not living life”, he says his family hates on him because he enjoys his self. Sorry, but life isn't always fun. On top of all of that, one of biggest things we continue to argue about it is marriage and kids. When I first met him he didn't want to get married nor have any more kids. Now he claims he does want to get married and maybe have one kid but every time we talk about it his response is always “What’s the rush?” I am not rushing him into anything but I want to know there is a future and we are on the same page. Right now I can’t see myself marrying him or having kids. Even with his son now, he treats him more as a buddy than a son and isn't consist with him and wonders why he doesn't listen. When people ask why are you still with him, the only answer I can say is because I know without a doubt he loves me, would never cheat on me (which is huge for him and something I've never felt) and he has been there for me. I know it shouldn't be that way nor do I want it to. I continue to think about leaving but then I think about my past and know the grass really it’s greener on the other side. I was with my ex for 6 years and miss a lot about our relationship. It’s been almost 2 years since and I still think about him. I beginning to think how lucky I was and don’t have anymore. I have cried many of times because I think I made a mistake, saying I should have put up with the curtain things he did because now being with my boyfriend things just aren't the same. When I tell my boyfriend how I feel he gets pissed off and thinks I am comparing him to my ex. I don’t think I am, it’s normal things that I am use to and grew to love. Is it really that hard to be passionate, sincere and be caring? I've never dated someone like him and really not sure how to adjust or even if it’s worth adjusting to. I don’t want to feel like I am babysitting. Does it sound like he is just immature or are guys really like this?! Don't get me wrong, I don't want to seem like I am bashing him. I am very thankful to have someone who loves me as much as he does and so proud of the person he has become; when we first met he was going down the wrong path.

Anyone else in a situation like this? Or can just give me any advise.
    Last edited by KayBug; 27-10-11 at 02:25 AM.

Okay. I read the first half of your post in that God-awful font, and I'm working off the assumption that the second half is just more of the same things said in the first.

Now, dump this loser because he's not going to grow up anytime soon. It's just going to get worse and worse, and you'll just get more annoyed until you finally do leave after wasting more time with him.