+ Follow This Topic

Thread: "When people show you who they are, believe them the first time"

"When people show you who they are, believe them the first time"

I think it's a good quote to keep in mind when dating.

What do you think about this quote?

No, people can be awkward on the first date...How bout this quote.......Hasten slowly......When fools rush in....... Catch my drift?
    What does it matter what we think? You seem pretty content with your statement, probably why all your relationships have failed....LOL
    Last edited by rafterman; 30-10-11 at 05:40 PM.

Every quote is open to interpretation. What I interpret from this quote is sometimes we hang in bad relationships for a longer period of time because we cannot realize that the other person really does not want to be with us. Or that they are not right for us, so maybe they are doing things such as ignoring us, being mean to us, etc. as a sign that they not want to be with us. Maybe next time we find ourselves in this situation we can get out of something before it's too late and we get really hurt.

It is something that I would like to apply in the future and thus, wanted to share with everyone to help them in their quests.

I am aware that my relationships have failed because just haven't found a good match yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden10 View Post
    Every quote is open to interpretation. What I interpret from this quote is sometimes we hang in bad relationships for a longer period of time because we cannot realize that the other person really does not want to be with us. Or that they are not right for us, so maybe they are doing things such as ignoring us, being mean to us, etc. as a sign that they not want to be with us. Maybe next time we find ourselves in this situation we can get out of something before it's too late and we get really hurt.

It is something that I would like to apply in the future and thus, wanted to share with everyone to help them in their quests.

I am aware that my relationships have failed because just haven't found a good match yet.
    I agree My last Gf gave me the irrits. I wish I had found this forum years ago. **** she was a princess. But its fun meeting the next person.....
    She was like wanking with a cheese grater.....Slightly amusing but mostly painful...LOL

She was like wanking with a cheese grater.....Slightly amusing but mostly painful...LOL

Ouch! that hurt only from reading it. Well I am glad that you are out of that now. I have a question, what is the type of girl that would be considered a princess by a man exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden10 View Post

Ouch! that hurt only from reading it. Well I am glad that you are out of that now. I have a question, what is the type of girl that would be considered a princess by a man exactly?
    I want this, I want that blah blah blah....Its that sort of crap. I like a woman that can be a bit self reliant and that understands the difference between needs and wants.

Well quotes are quotes and they can only do so much in trying to generalise situations. If you're referring to dating, I think it best to "judge" your partner after awhile.. I mean, most people are on their A game when they're dating right? (Provided their interested)

I disagree. People usually act better than themselves on the first couple dates. That's why it takes time to get the know the "real" person behind the mask.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

I agree with it, but I guess I've always read it in a more positive light. When I read that, it strikes me as a statement to look at the character of person the action represents. Bringing me flowers is nice, and sweet, but even awful people are sweet from time to time - it's not a reflection of character. My boyfriend spent the last couple weekends helping me with little tasks around the house - nothing huge, nothing I couldn't have [eventually] done on my own. Sure, I could chalk it up to him wanting sex [or some other ulterior motive my insecure brain cooks up], but he'd get that whether or not he volunteered to help. For me, that quote is kind of a reality check - he's showing me who he is, so take it at face value and don't let insecurities get in the way.

it depends right at the start they may feel less pressure as they're not invested in the outcome. Like someone saying they're not looking for a relationship & you try to prove to them they really really do.

One told me straight off the mark when I questioned something shady 'I'm a prick' he said it joking but you know what - he was telling the truth! He was and still is.