+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Help Bipolar girlfriend

Help Bipolar girlfriend

Bi polar girlfriend is in a depressive episode she is on meds but new doctor is trying new meds, I love her, and weve been together off and on for about 3 years. when shes depressed she just withdraws and I feel utterly useless, how can I help her?

Best thing you can do is let her know you are there for her. Not necessarily always in her space but never more then a phone call away. Let her know you will be there to hold her and comfort her.

At the same time, make sure you look after yourself too. Avoid letting yourself be her verbal (or physical if she hits those moods) punching bag. Don't take anything she says when she is down personally.

I hope her meds work for her.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

My family does a lot of work with mental health awareness, so I hope this helps you out and you trust it...

When someone slumps into a depression, it is extremely difficult for those around that person... Keep in mind, it's nothing you did or are doing, and by no means should you feel that it is your sole responsibility to help her... Remember, you are not a professional therapist or psychiatrist, so you don't have the correct training or education to help her alone... However, you aren't useless, and you can help... just not alone... Try and get as many people who love and care for your girl in on the help... Keep her mind busy... Invite her out to watch a comedic movie; if she says no, go to redbox and rent one...always find an alternative if she says no... kind of trick her into having a good time... Take on outdoor activities with her... long walks, hiking, snowboarding, ect. The winter months are usually hard for someone who suffers from any sort of depression, so now would be the time to take on a new project or hobby with her... Have dinner parties often and surround her with loved ones... If she becomes moody and mean (which is very likely to happen), you need to remind yourself that it isn't anything you're doing, and this person who is being mean to you just is ill right now... so be patient with her...It's wonderful that she has seeked professional help and that should add some relief to her depression.. I wish you and her the best... and I hope she gets well

Ask your therapist/psychologist/whatever. You do have one, right? Or ask her to ask her doctor if it's okay if you attend a session with her so the doctor can tell you how to deal with her.

You've gotten some good advice in the threads you've posted about this, but an online forum is probably not the best place to get answers, especially when you have access to professional help.

I guess you didn't listen the last time you posted?

Well that juat turned into an arguement over why im with her =p

There are forums for bi polar on other sites. You may find them of help.

When she withdraws, look after yourself and meet up with friends. Dont become focused on her and how she is hurting you. It will drive you crazy. With experience I have had in the past. They soon start talking again when you carry on with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookahmike View Post
    Well that juat turned into an arguement over why im with her =p
    Why are you with her? You're being abused and you continue to accept that

It's your life......

Gotta agree with MerryH on this one. In matters like this it is best to ask professionals what you can do to help. This is an amateur love advice forum. And while we all have good intentions and want to help, we are just not qualified to offer the level of advice it seems you are seeking. Take care of yourself and good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!