+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Conversation starters/flirting tips for a shy girl?

Conversation starters/flirting tips for a shy girl?

I'm 22 years old and I am still painfully shy when it comes to meeting new people, specifically guys. It takes me a little bit to warm up to a new one, but once I do, I am as outgoing and talkative and playful as they come.

I've had my eye on a guy who works at the local Wal-Mart (of all places lol) for a few weeks. I've seen him twice and both times he's spoken to me "hey, how are you?" BUT, both times he stopped what he was doing to turn around and speak to me. And the second time, we made pretty good eye contact. I don't know if this is just my delusional thinking or if he was genuinally going out of his way to say hello.

I want to start a real conversation with him and try flirting. But I SUCK at starting conversations with guys...especially when I don't really "know" them! I mean, I know his name (Nametag) and what part of the store he works in. Nothing else. Ideally, I'd love to get the courage to ask if he's single or for his number, but how do I get the stones to do this?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Please and thank you <3
    "One day the right person will come into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else"

I use to work at Walmart actually and several retail stores. I have also had girls hit on me. The bad thing is that guys can only focus on the task at hand and unless you make things blantantly obvious, he isnt going to make a move on you, especially if he is keeping things professional.
    After you visit Walmart several times and intentionally say hi to him everytime, I think he will deftinately get the hint after he continually see's you. Just don't be stalkerish or he will definately not like you. If he doesn't make a move after the second or third time you see him, then take things into your own hands and just start a convo. Talk to him about his job or if its difficult working at Walmart or what the benefits are or have there ever been any angry customers. Anything related to his job would be an obvious conversation starter. Then you could obviously use that to talk about your job. If things get quiet and conversation begins to die you need to imediately ask him if he wants to hangout sometime before the convo completely dies and awkward silence takes over.
    Another thing is if he notices you continually coming in to see him it will make you look desperate so don't do that.

Goodluck!

1. Talk about current news, sports, current events.
    2. Ask him about any funny or weird things that have happend at work. Like maybe they returned a vibrator after they tried it or something.
    3. Tell an interesting or funny story about yourself. (My grandfather was on the Today show.)
    4. Have anyone interesting in your family tree? Abe Lincoln's wife's sister married into my family tree. Her name was Nancy something.
    5. Ask him about his hobbies, interests, favorite TV shows, favorite movies, favorite books.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

If you are unsure what to talk about after the general "hi" "how are you?" "good thanks you" line, then go for something recent or current or what you are comfortable (feel most confident) talking about.

Recent is something like the news or work
    Current is something like whatever you are doing when you see him - so lines like "i'm shopping for 'X' - what brand do you suggest I buy?"
    You are probably most comfortably talking about hobbies - or shared interests.

Whatever happens, just be yourself. Do plaster on another face of you for the sake of it - it will seem desperate and fake. You want to be you, because you are you and no one else! Be confident with yourself!

When life becomes too tough and one feels the need to hide - one will start dreaming.

At some point after your short conversation (you cant talk for more than 10 minutes when hes at work really) just say "Hey, have you finally worked up the courage to ask me out yet?"