+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Will a romantic relationship ever work out?

Will a romantic relationship ever work out?

I am in love with my guy-friend who I do not lust after in any bit, and I know he loves me too. Will a romantic relationship ever work out or should we remain best buddies? He is an amazing person and the sweetest most romantic guy ever, but I just don't feel sexually attracted to him.
    Last edited by curtsygal; 10-11-11 at 04:59 PM.

You're in love but you don't feel that carnal desire to jump his bones? Something doesn't add up. . .

More details required.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

A solid relationship involves sex, 99.99% of the time. So no, it will never work out without sex. Sex is good for bonding. No bonding=no relationship. Without sex, he will get bored and move on. Nothing wrong with you, that's just how men are. Men need sex. It's better you know this earlier rather than after your 3 divorces. M'kay?
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Huh? .......

If there is no physical attraction, maybe your love for him is more like a sibling than a boyfriend. That is not horrible, but it probably will not make a very good romantic relationship.

Try to just understand your feelings for your friend and enjoy your close friendship while you keep your mind open for romantic relationships.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

I've read somewhere that there are different feelings of love. There is intimate love, which involves a great degree of closeness and also lust and physical attraction. Quoting the way the book describes how a typical relationship progresses is that intimate love gradually shifts to companionate love, a kind of love which probably best describes what you're feeling. You skipped a stage?

Quote Originally Posted by curtsygal View Post
    I am in love with my guy-friend who I do not lust after in any bit, and I know he loves me too. Will a romantic relationship ever work out or should we remain best buddies?
    So how did you guys meet? We need more details than that.
    To be or not to be?

Is that the question?

hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Would you really be satisfied with a relationship of that nature?
    “So it's not gonna be easy, It's going to be really hard, we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.” <3

OTOH, maybe you could develop a relationship with him, and see if any sexual attraction happens. It just might.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)