+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am i a rebound? and if so should i take a break?

Am i a rebound? and if so should i take a break?

My girlfriend and I have been together for three months now. We get along great even though half the time I’ve been away at school, but when I am we still talk on the phone all the time and Skype. She has also flown out to visit me twice and we always have a great time together. Next semester we will be going to the same school. Things are great, I love her and she tells me she loves me too, and I believe her.
    She comes from a rougher family. Her dad was never there for her but fortunately she had a very nice step dad who was very good to her from the time she was five until he passed away when she was 16. She has almost always had a boyfriend since she was like 12 ( I don’t mean to make her sound slutty, her boyfriend of 4 years is the only guy she has ever slept with). She is also a very touchy-feely kind of girl and I don’t mind that at all, I really love everything about her
    However, we started hanging out, and hooking up, just ten days after her last boyfriend totally ended things with her. They dated for four years so I’m somewhat afraid that I’m a rebound. But at the same time, she says she wasn’t upset at all when they broke up because it was like the sixth time they had broken up. They also were not “officially together” since like 7 months before that but they were still hooking up and talking. They hadn't even seen each other much recently because she was away at school. She makes him sound like he didn’t treat her well, and that he didn’t really care about her and she hated how he treated her in front of his friends. She says she feels closer to me than she could ever feel to him because he didn’t ever really listen to her and was very manipulative.
    I want to believe that she is totally over him. She doesn't show any signs of being interested in him still. She never talks about him and it seems like they never had that much love between them. However, am I looking at some bad signs? Am I a rebound, or maybe does she just always needs to have a boyfriend? Even if either of these things are true is it really that bad? If these are problems however should we take a break? On the one hand I am so happy with her, and she doesn’t show any signs of giving one s**t about her ex. However, at the same time it was just such a short time between relationships and I can’t help but feel like she really just jumped into a relationship with me and that what we have is not really that special. Thanks for any advice.

If its not broken, why do you think you need to fix it? Relax and enjoy what you have.

You are both very young and its not likely she is on the rebound if she is happy with you. Nor is it fair to assume she 'just needs a boyfriend all the time' if she is being exclusive with you even tho you are away at school most of the time. So she is quite able to be on her own and your suspicions are pretty insulting if you see it from her perspective, she's done nothing to deserve them. Unless she is insecure and 'hooking up' with other boys as well. If she has be sexuallly active for 4 years and is still in school, then she may have dependance on sex as proof of love. This is precocious behaviour rather than a sign of maturity.If you are doubting the wisdom of remaining involved with her , then it may be wise to take a step back. Try not to get too intense about tying each other down to long term relationships before even getting out of school and establishing your independance. make sure you have responsible sex.