+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is there any way to solve this??

Is there any way to solve this??

So here is the deal, my ex boyfriend and I have been dating for almost five months. For the first three months we worked together so we saw each other every day. After work ended, we both started our Master's program and we are long distance (2 hours away). We have been making an effort to see each other every two weeks and have been great together however, two weeks ago, the topic of the future came up. I was supposed to be living in Dublin in medical school for the next four years and he is planning on moving to London in May so he said before we got in "too deep" we needed to end things because after May we would never be able to see each other. Unfortunately, this was all over skype.
    As we were having this conversation, I asked him what he wanted, and he told me he wanted me to live in the same city as him and he didn't want to end things but he felt it was the right thing to do. Whenever I said "if breaking up is what you want," he would correct me again and say its not what I want, I'm just scared of getting in deeper than we already are when it can't work.
    Of course, as fate would have it, the day after we broke up, I decided not to apply to medical school and take a year off to save money. I had already been considering this before the break up, but never told him because I wanted to make the choice on my own. Now that I have a year, I would like to move some place new for a year, and work although location really isn't important to me. Saying this, if my boyfriend and I were together happily for a year at this point and he asked me to move to London with him, I would have no problem doing that considering I will have graduated and have no other obligations in Dublin anymore (I'm from America). We are meeting next week so we would have been broken up for two weeks at that point and I'm wondering if I should tell him about my new choices? I talked to him earlier today and he said he is glad he has work because it has kept him being sensible since everything happened but he said he would like to meet in person and potentially be friends and talk properly, rather than on skype.
    Will it be too late to tell him my choices about medical school two weeks after the break up? I really want to be with him and it sounds like he wants to be with me, but is scared of getting hurt.. I am his first real relationship.

We don't have a crystal ball to tell you how he will feel about it. You have to do what you think is right. Do you really want to make these dramatic changes in your life? Putting your choices on hold may lead to regret if things don't work out.....are you willing to risk that?

I'm not putting anything on hold.. I'm waiting on medical school because of the financial cost. I need to work for a solid year before I start school to save up money and I also waited to long and would only be able to apply to one school and I want to make sure I have more options. Once I graduate, I have a year to work where ever I want, and I enjoy moving around, which is why I wouldn't mind moving to London. The problem is, I don't want him to think that I am making these decisions off of him.. Med school is completely independent of him and regardless of whether we are together, I will have the same choice. The only thing I would be doing is moving to the city with him but as I'm not from Dublin and have only been here for two months, I do not have family here and all my friends will be leaving in May as well, so I will not have any other obligations which is why I'm willing to go with him.

Everyone already told you to tell him your decision, tell him it's based on circumstance and not based on him, and let the cards fall. What was the point of this thread?

What is going to happen when the year is up? Are you going to have to move again? If so what is the point?