+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My girlfriend has always had a boyfriend; is this a bad sign??

My girlfriend has always had a boyfriend; is this a bad sign??

I've been dating this girl like a year. I've known her for roughly 8 years or so. She's always had a boyfriend like she can't be alone. High school boyfriend, college boyfriend, after college boyfriend and 3 since I've known her in 8 years; 2 years, 1 year and 4 years. She'll have a boyfriend, break up and find another 2 months later and stay with them for years. She never really gives herself time in between. She's talking to me about marriage and having kids and what not. It sort of scares me that if I marry this chick who says she won't drop me or fall out of love and find someone to replace me right away. Seems like she grows sick of dudes and breaks it off or they break it off with her, god only knows. She's never been the type of chick to sleep around she's just ALWAYS with someone. Seems like she'll date anyone just to have someone around; I mean the dudes I met were real, REAL douchebags. Arrogant, cocky pricks or just straight up nerds/dorks. She's always telling me how I'm so different because i'm not a sh#%head and people actually like me. We get along fine but I'm apprehensive to move forward, not necessarily marriage, but just put this behind me and really love her for who she is. Any thoughts?? I also think she just is at the age ready for marriage and to have kids, all her friends are married and have kids. So what if she's using me for my man juice and because I'm around when she wants to get married?? I think it's a common factor that her and her mother share. From what she tells me her mother just bounced from guy to guy to guy all while she was growing up. I think her and her brother tallied like 25 boyfriends her mom's had while they were growing up until now, i mean are you kidding me?? What exactly is the problem with her mom and does that trickle down to her?? I mean i'll date a girl for 3 years or a year or whatever then just want to be alone until someone special comes along. I don't need to be with someone just to be with someone. Any thoughts on this or am I over analyzing everything?? I love her but this feels suspicious to me. Thoughts??

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Unless you have a boatload of a better reasons as to if she may be using you... tread carefully to be accused of such a thing will be the end of your relationship. I've never not had a bf either. I'm not a user. I just find a guy and I stay with him not because I have to but because I choose to. If I broke up tomorrow I'd probably find another good man reasonably fast.

Unless she's a crazy emotionally immature little girl, I don't think her single factor is a good dictator of much.

always having a bf can be a bad sign....my 1 ex is like that, she cant seem to funtion with out one....dont matter who the guy is but instantly she got another one. i think its a major sign of codepentacy and insecturity issues. Some people dont wanna be alone.

She'll have a boyfriend, break up and find another 2 months later and stay with them for years.
    Two months is a reasonable break between boyfriends. Some girls only go 3 days. That's a sign of desperation. Your gf sounds pretty balanced from what I see above.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

She might be in love with being in love. Therefore, the constant rotation of boyfriends. But it also may just be coincidence. Unless you know for sure that she is just in this relationship to be in the relationship, I wouldn't even bring it up. Don't worry about her past. Concentrate on her, and your, present. And then decide if you want to move into a future with her. Don't base your decisions on what ifs and fears about what might be going on in her head.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Looks like she is always in a long-term emotional relationship. I guess that is better than 1 month flings here and there.
    But I have to agree that if a girl can't be single for several months or a year at a time, maybe she is so emotionally dependent that she can't be alone at all.
    That's not a good thing. I mean, she is always a couple with someone else, so she has no self. This is something to be concerned about.