+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Meeting with the ex?

Meeting with the ex?

Hey everyone.. I want to thank you all for your advice.. I could really use it!
    So two weeks ago, my boyfriend of five months broke up with me. We were originally working together for the first two months of our relationship so we saw each other every day and now that schoool has started back up we were in a long distance relationship (2 hours away). In May, he is most likely moving to another city for work and he thought I would be remaining in my current city to attend medical school for four years. He broke up because he said he did not want to get "too deep" and was afraid of getting even more hurt if we stayed together through May. He repeately told me that he did not want to do this but he felt it was the right thing to do. When I asked what he wanted, he said he wanted me to be living in the same city as him but that can't happen.
    We are planning on meeting in a few days (two weeks after the break up) and talk in person about everything that happened. He said that he didn't like how we had to talk about all this over skype, rather than in person and he would like to be able to be friends. When I told him I didn't know if it was such a good idea and I am glad he is okay with everything, I'm going through a tough time with stuff going on in my life. He responded with "please don't assume that I'm okay with everything."
    I never told my ex boyfriend that I decided not to apply to medical school next year because of financial reasons and want to work for a year. Now this being said, I have no obligations at all and since I am currently living abroad as it is, I would like to stay abroad rather than go back home. I am perfectly okay moving to his city once I finish school in a May because I would not be leaving school, work, friends or family behind. Also, I think it would be a great opportunity and a lot of fun to move to another city while in Europe and get to be with someone I love at the same time. I never told my boyfriend this because I didn't want him to think I am a super clingly, plan my life around him type of girl and scare him. The reason I would be willing to move is because I think it would be fun, would like to continue with him, and at the moment, it fits into my life without losing anything at all. Not only that, but I just want him to know that in a few months, if we were together, we would have the discussion about whether it would be right for me to go with him. Basically he broke up with me because he thinks we can't work long term because of distance.. when that is completely wrong.
    When we meet in a few days (he agreed to travel down to me.. didn't even ask me to meet him half way) should I mention this to him? Or do you think it would scare him? Does it sound like he would even care and be willing to keep an open mind about this?

You should definitely mention this to him. I think he will be thrilled. The reason he wanted to break up was because of the distance so this is great news to him.

I guess I am just nervous that he will think I am being clingy after telling him this after only five months. I really want him to understand that I am not saying I would go with him for sure but in May after it has been almost a year, if we still have strong feelings for each other and my life has nothing planned for a year, then I wouldn't mind discussing this further and going with him if we both decided it was for the best. I just don't want to meet and find out that since it has been two weeks he is completley over the break up and has moved on.. even though he only told me yesterday not to assume he is okay when I said he sounds fine and I am glad.