+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Quite Confused

Quite Confused

Hello everyone, nice to meet you. I'm a forum junkie for all sorts of things, so I figured why not for some 'love' advice .

I met a guy a few weeks ago online. We seemed to hit it off after talking for a few days, so we decided to meet for coffee. We both seemed to like each other, so he invited me to his place to make dinner for me. It was very nice, we watched a movie afterwards, got a kiss good night, and that was that. The next night, we got together again, watched a movie again, and so forth. He seemed quite interested, kept making references to things 'we' would do in the future.

I was busy the next day or two, and then asked if he wanted to hang out, and he was 'busy' as well despite being unemployed. In the next days after that, he was texting me constantly, but wouldn't hang out. He said he couldn't get to know someone when he's worried so much about his financial state. I have told him I don't mind going dutch or paying for the occasional night out, I make enough to support myself. I have no problem with hanging around and watching movies. The next day, I was going for a hike in the local park, and invited him along-he decided he would go "because he has nothing else better to do" (ugh). It was a nice walk but he was a bit distant, and talked mostly about his finances and unemployment. We ended with a hug, and I figured I wouldn't hear from him again. Well, I was wrong! He has constantly texted me everyday, nothing important, just small talk. I decided I wouldn't pressure him at all and just wait and see when he would want to hang out again.
    It's been a while, he never took the initiative, and I finally asked him this morning if he wanted to hang out tonight..was met with "I don't know what I'm doing". I got a bit frustrated and pretty much asked why he continues to text and talk when he doesn't want to go further. He said he was sorry he was bugging me, that he didn't mean to confuse, he has been busy, and he doesn't feel comfortable not being able to take me out. Now I feel bad for saying something, but I really hate being in limbo. We live 5 minutes away and I don't buy the finances thing.

What do you guys think is going on here..I could use an outsiders' pov. I'm not sure if I should make amends or just leave it.

Maybe he is really embarrassed because of his financial situation?

What does it matter what he says? They're just words. I find it completely hilarious that he's even on a dating site if he says this :
    he doesn't feel comfortable not being able to take me out.
    Why would he be on the site if he's just going to pretend he feels bad because he can't afford to date. Seems he's priming you to be the one who pays and all this in-house dating will eventually lead to him getting sex with little to no effort or means. What value do you see him bringing to the table if you were to pursue this and keep it going?

My suggestion: Tell him you agree that he's not ready to be dating and that when he's gotten himself a job and feels more confident to be dating to give you a call and if you're still available you'll meet him for another coffee.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion