+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Help talking to Doctor about mental health?

Help talking to Doctor about mental health?

Hi Forum,

I'm posting here because I do enjoy this forum alot. I've tried looking at health forums, but I am more comfortable here and I do apologize that this isn't a question related to this website but, I thought I would ask.

If no one has an answer for my question, might you suggest a good health forum?

I've just received health insurance after about 2 years of not having any. (New job). And I have an appointment with my primary care physician on Friday. I'd like to talk to him/her about the sudden arise of a few issues in the last 2 years that seem to be taking over my life.. At work, at home, sexually... My extreme social phobia and anxiety.. My up and down depression, racing thoughts, and trouble on focusing on most anything without drifting off. I feel like a straight up manic mess of a person.

I have a big problem talking to strangers, and even thinking about talking to the doctor is making my stomach turn. I don't feel like I will say things properly, and I feel like I'm going to come off as this weird person who thinks she has all these issues.

When talking to people I don't know or feel intimidated by, my face burns red hot, my heart paces, my stomach turns, I can't look them in the eye... I'm really freaking out about this guys.. Any advice?

Write down the things you want to talk to your doctor about in point form. Keep it very simple. That way if you just can't seem to bring up mental health, you can just say "I have these concerns also" and hand him the 'list' (for want of a better word).

As for the worry that you'll come off as a nutter, try not to let that get to you. Seeking help with mental health is becoming more and more acceptable and the alternative is silently stewing away and letting things get worse. You deserve to be happy. You deserve to be helped to achieve this if this is what you need.

Write your list, check it twice and you won't fumble over your words.

Good luck.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

You are just going to have to break the ice with your doctor. Just say "For the last few years I have been having spells of feel anxious, and have trouble focusing". "I would like to look further into seeing why this is happening". I think just by your body language the doctor will see how uncomfortable with talking about it and start asking the questions.

Once you have been properly diagnosed, then go on the net and do your reseach for your treatment options, etc. It's not really good idea to self diagnose.

If your doctor is good, you should be able to build rapport with him/her from the beginning. Hopefully that will ease your anxiety a bit. I really like MaidenMinx's idea of writing down the items you want to mention. That is a very good idea and your doctor should understand the reason with the anxiety piece.

And please do not worry about being seen as someone who has issues. Everyone has issues. The fact that you are self-aware enough to understand that you are dealing with certain things put you dozens of steps ahead of other people. That is something you should be proud of. Also, your doctor is not allowed to talk about anything you say to him/her unless you approve it, so don't worry about other people. And finally, trust me when I tell you this, your doctor will have heard/seen much much worse than anything you say.

Just take a deep breath, be proud of yourself for wanting to find the help you think you need, and take the first step. Then the next step. Then the next. Before you know it, you will be running again.

Good luck!
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Thank you all very much. I have started working on a list although, I feel its a little excessive.... But you did shed a little bit of light. I don't have self harm thought, or suicidal, and I don't spend all my time in my room crying or sleeping, I'm just a bit off lately, so I'm sure my issues aren't the worst a doc has ever heard. Thank you all

talking to someone about embarassing topics is nerve racking. How about making an appt to see a psychologist instead if you are worried about people judging you? They specialize in mental heath and have seen much nuttier cases, so your case won't even stand out in his/her day

Talk to your doctor, if they know what they are doing they will point you in the right direction and most likely refer to someone who specializes in mental illness issues as most GP's can only scrape the surface. Don't feel embarrassed, doctors have seen it all, heard it all.. no need for embarrassment, in the end, they are there to help you. It sounds to me like its mostly anxiety but be careful not to confuse that with a manic episode. They are very different, in a manic situation people feel extremely elated and invincible really which you don't seem to describe at all. Lot of people read into stuff and try and "self-diagnose' mental illness these days, big mistake. Once you talk to someone referred to you by your doctor or otherwise, they will be able to properly assess what is going on.