+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Can this be a good thing?

Can this be a good thing?

I've been dating/seeing a guy now since about June, and things are going extremely well, we have slept together once and that was only very recently. He never pressured me to sleep with him, infact that time was my idea, because I felt totally comfortable and ready with him.

We both recently decided to have the discussion about us being a proper couple, he seemed to think we were already an item, but when I joked about not having that conversation yet, he asked me if I wanted that conversation.

So the next time I see him I guess we will make our minds up, but im pretty sure we will agree to be together properly.

I am more than happy with him, and he seems to be just as happy, and he said I am all he thinks about.

I know for sure he isn't in this for one thing, I'm just afraid again if this is all going to go wrong like all my other crappy relationships, but from what I have said, do you think this time he might be in it for the right reasons and be capable of falling in love at some point?

I guess any advice for continuing happiness, and what to say to make him know I like him alot, or any reassurance would be great here...thank you for reading.

Enjoy yourself! He wants you and you feel the same. Don't dwell on negatives.

Dont dwell on your past relationships. You have to accept that if you put yourself out there, you will be hurt occassionally. However, not trying is far worse.

1. Don't dwell on old relationships and old mistakes, but do learn from them. This person is not the same as the last.
    2. Communicate. Never assume something. Lack of communication starts fights, and hurts feelings, and kills relationships. Always be honest with your mate. Talk about things that really bother you to see if you can change them. Talk about things you like so he can do them more.
    3. Compromise. When you have a disagreement, whether it's about what to eat for dinner, where to go for vacation, or which friends to see, compromise on the solution. Not everyone will get what they want every time.
    4. When discussing emotional topics, do not do personal attacks, or call names, like "You are a jerk." Use "I" statements like "It bothers me when you don't do the dishes like you said you would." Be calm and rational. Listen to your partner for a reasonable amount of time, then they should listen to you. Make sure you both understand the other's viewpoint and feelings about a topic.
    5. Do not talk about ex boy/girlfriends. There's no point to this and it only breeds jealousy.
    6. Do not make big decisions using only emotions. This almost always ends badly. If you think he's cheating on you, get proof before taking action. NEVER ASSUME. To assume makes an ASS out of U and ME.
    7. Be kind to each other. Support each other. Set each other up for success. Support each other's hobbies, do them together if possible.
    8. Be there for each other on bad days. It's fine to take care of your partner once in a while, but they should also know how to take care of themselves.
    9. You must love your self before you can truly love someone else. This means you have to get rid of your emotional baggage before you can open your heart to someone else. You must be comfortable with yourself, and your quirks and weaknesses.
    10. Be aware of your strengths and weaknesses. Be aware that your partner is not perfect, they will have annoying quirks, or bad days, but you will still get through it. See "Be there for each other".
    11. Know what's normal for men. Men have a high sex drive, so they want lots of sex. That doesn't mean they don't care about you, or that's all they want. Watch their actions, ignore what they say. People can lie but actions speak louder than words.
    12. Don't try to change the other person, they have to change themselves. Trying to change them only leads to fights and frustration. You CAN talk to them about issues, and suggest solutions, but they have to be the one to change.
    Last edited by bulrush; 02-12-11 at 08:38 PM.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Thanks for all the replies! It's helped alot.