+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I contact him about setting up a date for a previously canceled date?

Should I contact him about setting up a date for a previously canceled date?

I've been talking to a guy that I met through an online dating service for almost two weeks now. We spoke on the phone prior to Thanksgiving for about 45 minutes. He asked at the end of that phone call to get together after the break (so in a week) and I enthusiastically agreed. We've only texted since then. The Sunday before our date we were texting about our Thanksgiving and then he mentioned that he ended up getting a black eye while playing basketball with some friends. I proceeded to ask if that meant he wanted to post pone our date and he said that he'd prefer to do it later in the week to give the swelling some time to go down. He also told me he'd call closer to the date to tell me where and when I should meet him. The evening before our scheduled date I still hadn't heard from him regarding our date (we had been texting about other random things and both of us were being flirtatious)so I text him to ask him if we were still on for tomorrow. Never heard back from him. First thing the next morning he texts me and says so sorry to not respond I've been sick all day yesterday and slept for like 12 hours last night. Needless to say our date that night also got canceled because he was so sick he couldn't even keep water down. He was very apologetic and I said it was completely fine as long as this wasn't an attempt to blow me off. He assured me that it wasn't and that he was really looking forward to meeting me. Well we've texted a few times since then (today is day two since our last date attempt) but he hasn't said anything about rescheduling yet. Then again I did tell him I was working yesterday evening and this evening. So I guess after my long winded explanation, my question is should I bring it up? Should I suggest we get dinner tomorrow evening? Or should I let him bring it up. I've heard that I should let him contact me about it...but I feel like I need to meet this person because we seem to have similar personalities so far. I mean the text would just be something like "hey, what are you doing tomorrow evening? Want to get together for dinner or drinks?" Is that to forward or desperate looking? Thanks!

Sounds to me like he has a girlfriend or wife! How do I know? I've done the exact same thing. Online is a playground to meet people who don't know your real relationship status, don't know your history nor your present, or anything about you for that matter. You can pretend to be anyone you want to be. Usually I'd go online to meet guys when I was in a fight with my boyfriend. When my boyfriend and I were good again, I would make excuses not to see the online "prey" I was "getting to know". His excuses like "bruised eye" and "sickness" are prolonged excuses, buying him at least a week of not being able to meet you. He wants to keep you around just incase of that day when him and his girlfriend get into a fight again. The lack of texting also means that he is not interested in you at all...but to use you for his own benefit when he needs.

While I agree its good to keep your guard up when doing online dating, I have actually met some good people online (whom i met and dated for a while). For a variety of different reasons, including both of us not having the time to dedicate to a new relationship it didn't work out. They aren't all "cheaters" or potential "rapists" as has been perpetuated through the media. I know several people whom have met and married people they met online. We live in a different world than we did 10 years ago and online dating has become a viable way to meet people when you are a young professional. I'm not saying he isn't playing me, but I am trying to defend my choices of using a viable, popular, online dating site.

For the record, there hasn't been a lack of texting. He only didn't text me once when he was sick and texted me first thing in the morning..8:00am to apologize for not responding. But you're right, I don't know if that's true or not, but I think it's a really sad life to live in a place where you believe people are constantly playing you. But I guess I shouldn't text him to see if he wants to set up another date. He can do that I suppose if he's interested.

^ ofcourse there is tons of good that come from online dating. I should know...I've met tons of great guys who's brought me home to meet their parents, told me they loved me, treated me like a queen....unfortunately none of them knew I wasn't who I portrayed to be. I just see similarities with your post and with my experiences from a first person point of view. I've known tons of men from online and i've never had any guy cancel on a date...it would be me that did so. Also with text messages, I've never had a guy reply very late to a text message...it again would be me who tried to hide my phone from my boyfriend and sneak a quick reply when my boyfriend was in the bathroom or something... I believe when someone is serious about looking for a potential girlfriend or boyfriend, especially when they are interested.....they wouldn't pass up an opportunity to meet and potentially date a gorgeous girl who he finds has a lot in common with himself.