+ Follow This Topic

Thread: "Afraid of commitment/relationships"

"Afraid of commitment/relationships"

Here girls say this all the time, what exactly do they mean? Obvious first thought would be that perhaps they were in a relationship and it went very bad, thus ruining it for them in the future, but even heard girls that aren't even too experienced in dating say this. IMO, it's just an odd thing to say. I'd imagine every person would rather have a great, solid, and trustworthy relationship rather than any other alternative.

Maybe because a lot of people to tend move too fast in relationships. It happens all too often that by the time you start to really know someone you've already had sex, moved in, etc. and it's too complicated to just walk away at that point. I suppose it could be an 'out', especially at a young age when you really don't know what you want and your interests are changing as often as your underwear.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

It means they don't want a relationship with you and they are trying to let you down gently.

Personally I think the phrase is mis-used. They are probably afraid of getting HURT or just don't want a relationship at that particular time.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    It means they don't want a relationship with you and they are trying to let you down gently.
    This, or they really just don't want to be in a relationship. Your assumption that "every person would rather have a great, solid, and trustworthy relationship rather than any other alternative" is blatantly false - not everybody wants to feel "bound" to another person, and that's how some people view a relationship. For these types of people, the only way they are going to get into a relationship is by falling head over heels in love with somebody - then they won't be able to help it, it will just happen (provided the other person is willing of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    Take it easy, I wasn't talking about me or any situation I was in. Purely hypothetical.

It means just that. A girl doesn't want to get serious with a guy. They will want to be in a relationship when they get of age and when they want a boyfriend. When you get to my age....most girls will want a committed relationship!

Being afraid of commitment and not wanting commitment are two different things. Some people have a genuine fear of commitment and intimacy issues which prevents them for entering into relationships. IMO most people that say they are afraid of commitment just don't want it.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!