+ Follow This Topic

Thread: scholarship application help

scholarship application help

I know it has nothing to do with relationships but there are some great minds here that I think might be able to assist me. No one I know has ever applied for a scholarship nor attended a level of schooling that would require an ability to fill in an application of this sort.

So it's only a little scholarship, I have been wanting to become a personal trainer for years but don't have the $8000. This scholarship will cover all of that.

So I have the following problems...
    Firstly, language. The 4 questions on the form are very basic. Why do I want to be a PT? What do I expect from the course? (hardest question of the lot) Short term goals? Long term goals? I know the answers and could talk to you all day about why I want to do it and what I want to do for people. I just am having a lot of trouble putting it down on paper. One of my problems, do I use if or when? Do I say If my application is successful... or do I say When I finish my course....? I am stumped on that so far...

Actually that is my biggest problem so far... I'll list others as they become relevant.
    Last edited by MaidenMinx; 05-12-11 at 01:11 PM. Reason: realised I said firstly and only had one thing to ask... :p
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

I suppose that since you're pleading your case rather than simply assuming that you're gonna get it it would be best to go with "if" - e.g. "Upon completing the course I aim to ..... and ..... in order to .... . Kind of a "Hey, look at me, I can achieve so much if only I get this!"

Guess the expectations part is what you hope to get out of it - e.g. a strong foundation of knowledge (scientific / modern) to kickstart a career in it, as opposed to say a self-taught trainer ( non-scientific / traditional).

Personal trainer, like at a gym? $8000 for the classes? It must work differently here, because I know a couple of personal trainers and there's no way those **** ups actually took real classes or spent anywhere near $8000 on them.

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    What do I expect from the course?
    "I aspire to gain more knowledge on personal training and I believe that [course name] teaches the most valuable aspects of the field, due to [their awesome accomplishments, accreditation, job placement rates, etc.] Earning this scholarship will enable me to enter the profession with a solid understanding of how to best serve those who require personal training." That sounds robotic and impersonal, so you can fix that, but there's no "if' or "when" in that wording.

Also, google the specific scholarship and the course to see what they say about themselves. That scholarship has a goal, so present your answers in a way that implies you will accomplish that goal for them and make them feel good about awarding it to you.

Hope you get it!

Thanks guys. Between you and my step mum I actually think I have a handle on this. I want a good draught to show my councillor tomorrow so she can check for self sabotaging language.

Oh and Merry, $8000 is about average for cert III and IV in fitness. Another school I looked at would drop it to $6500 if I could pay it up front. It is 3 semesters of full time study so it's reasonable when you look it that way. And when you compare it to other forms of study like Uni it works out quite reasonable. So I might be doing this again in a few years if I do decide that nutrition would be a perfect accompaniment.. which it would be, especially in the area I live in (lots of unhealthy young mums with unhealthy kids) but that is 3 years full time and at least 3 times the cost. Yes education is expensive in Australia. (I'm getting a weird sense of deja vu typing this, and had the same thing on the phone talking to my step mum about it last night... I like deja vu. It makes me feel like I am 'on path' so to speak.)
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Most classes are designed around some objectives. See if you can get access to the course syllabus, preview the objectives, and make a couple inferences about your expectations based off that.

Structure your paper as a scholar; develop a philosophy about good practices. Talk about integrity with regard to personal training. Talk about personal goals you have for yourself. The long and short term goals should be outlined as if you were being interviewed for employment; where do you see yourself in one year? Where do you see yourself in five years? How do you think you will benefit from this? How do you view your potential/success? Do you think you are going to make a difference? How can you make a difference? Who are the knowledgeable professionals in this field that you follow?

@MM, happy to hear that you're gonna do something that should keep you away from your other 'habits'