+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dating/relationships in south?

dating/relationships in south?

I just moved to Gainesville , Florida.... one big difference I see compared to Illinois (or even Texas) is that concept of seeing someone/being in a relationship does not really exist... I know many married couples here (who are from FL/GA/Carolinas) and none of them were together for more than a few months before they got married (and I don't think it's because they were all madly in love!)... it seems to me that people here(specially girls) are in some kind of rush to seal the deal and start making babies... if they reach 24 and still single, they start questioning what's wrong with me?!

any thoughts? does this observation make sense? or am I over-analyzing the situation?
    Last edited by bigshot82; 07-12-11 at 05:55 AM.

I have been told that in certain Hispanic subcultures, the girls want, and are encouraged, to have a baby by age 14. Not sure if the guy was serious or not, but the facts support this. Marriage is optional.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    I have been told that in certain Hispanic subcultures, the girls want, and are encouraged, to have a baby by age 14. Not sure if the guy was serious or not, but the facts support this. Marriage is optional.
    there are many subcultures/tribes around the world with weird traditions... I am talking about mainstream society in a populous area of the united states!

Quote Originally Posted by bigshot82 View Post
    there are many subcultures/tribes around the world with weird traditions... I am talking about mainstream society in a populous area of the united states!
    My opinion stands. Florida is mostly Hispanic (Cuban). In fact, the guy told me the above info when we were both in Florida and saw a 13-14 year old girl working as a waitress, and overheard her talk about her baby.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    My opinion stands. Florida is mostly Hispanic (Cuban). In fact, the guy told me the above info when we were both in Florida and saw a 13-14 year old girl working as a waitress, and overheard her talk about her baby.
    only south florida is hispanic. Central/north/panhandle is mostly white.

only south florida is hispanic. Central/north/panhandle is mostly white.
    Yes, we were in south Florida at the time. Miami I think.

Well, what I've seen in history (1800s) and current times, is that less educated people tend to get married younger. They are not going to college, so why not get married and start a family? That's just their custom.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The Southern part of the country is known as the bible belt, meaning they are a more-religious community. Religious communities tend to advocate in favor of marriage because they tend to oppose premarital sex, and young people want to have sex without feeling bad about it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    The Southern part of the country is known as the bible belt, meaning they are a more-religious community. Religious communities tend to advocate in favor of marriage because they tend to oppose premarital sex, and young people want to have sex without feeling bad about it.
    well, that's the short answer. I would like to think in 21st century, people are a little more evolved than that ... any southern girls here?! help us out

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot82 View Post
    well, that's the short answer. I would like to think in 21st century, people are a little more evolved than that ...
    Are you kidding? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

[url]http://www.gallup.com/poll/114022/State-States-Importance-Religion.aspx[/url]
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

it's just sad to see young, college-educated girls can't wait to settle down and start making babies... how about some career ambition? or having fun or seeing the world while you are young?!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ovaries and eggs have a shelf life. After grad school and into their 30s, women who want families need to keep this in mind, unless they don't mind the idea of dealing with infertility problems and high risk pregnancies later on.

And really, it's not "sad" to want a family, though 24 is too young, IMO.

But hey - aren't you pushing 30? You aren't a kid anymore. The women in your age range are probably just ready to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Ovaries and eggs have a shelf life. After grad school and into their 30s, women who want families need to keep this in mind, unless they don't mind the idea of dealing with infertility problems and high risk pregnancies later on.

And really, it's not "sad" to want a family, though 24 is too young, IMO.

But hey - aren't you pushing 30? You aren't a kid anymore. The women in your age range are probably just ready to grow up.
    I usually date women 4-5 years younger

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    As you get older, you will find it more and more difficult to find age-appropriate women who don't want to get married and have a family.

The way I see it, these are your options:

1) date younger girls, and risk being known as the creepy, older guy who preys on the young and naive.
    2) look for women who don't want to get married and have families
    3) date men
    Last edited by vashti; 23-12-11 at 09:23 PM.

see, I'm not complaining about my personal dating life or seeking advice or anything... I'm simply expressing concern over a social issue. Only reason I posted here is I thought subject is relevant to relationships

OK, I'm a southern girl from North Florida. I got married at age 23. I wanted to have a family and babies before I got too old.

I have a college degree but a career wasn't the motivating factor in my life. At least now that I'm in my 30s, I have the family, and I could focus on career if I chose to-- without worrying about fertility issues and/or new baby drama.

Not sure what it is like in the north.

edit to add we did date for two years before tying the knot.
    Last edited by blue102; 22-02-12 at 10:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast