+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mom does not approve of my relationship. What to do????

My mom does not approve of my relationship. What to do????

I'm with the LOVE of my life. We have been together for 1 year and 4 months. He takes care of me, makes sure I've got food to eat, is there for me when I need him. My mom has not met him yet but already disapproves of the relationship because we are living together with out being married yet. My mom is visiting this Christmas as she lives out of state. I told my mom that I would like her to meet my boyfriend but she is not ready to meet him because she is upset over us living together(without being married). My mom has always been big on her beliefs and wants the best for me. My boyfriend and I have talked about marriage and he wants to get me an engagement ring. How do I convince my mom to meet him when she doesn't approve of our relationship??? I feel like she doesn't want to give him a chance.

Your only option is to make it very clear to your mum that you are a grown up and YOU decide what you do with YOUR life. If she does not like your BF then tough for her - you have the right the choose your own BF. Is she a control freak?

Your mom is old school....she wants her daughter getting married and staying a virgin until her wedding day. Well, the times are changing. It's actually a better thing that you live with your boyfriend before marriage to know each other fully before saying "i do". There is nothing you can do but tell your mom to mind her own business.

I call her a control freak, but the thing is she's very religious and stands up to her beliefs. Im not religious at all. I respect her beliefs but she always cancels out what I have to say, thats why we bunt heads all the time.

I agree with you bcgirl. That's probably why my mom's last marriage didn't work out. You gotta test drive before you buy it.

hell with your mom, u need to live together 1st.

I'm just in a bubble... My mom wants me to spend time with just her for Christmas and exclude my bf out.

I have a similar problem with my mother in the sense of her not really liking my boyfriend which makes most social occasions weird and awkward at times.. At the end of the day you can make 2 choices comply to her wants and be a doormat (I assume that is not an option as it wasn't for me). Or just keep living your life with this guy, in the end I am sure she won't want to sacrifice a relationship with you in the future and want to miss your wedding or seeing her grandchildren. (That is my hope for myself anyway)
    “So it's not gonna be easy, It's going to be really hard, we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.” <3

Quote Originally Posted by beyou View Post
    I agree with you bcgirl. That's probably why my mom's last marriage didn't work out. You gotta test drive before you buy it.
    How convient for her to criticize you when she can't even adhere to her own worthless religious sacraments. No offense but your mother is a joke of a person and she should be ignored.

spend time with you bf, go visit your mom but tell her how it is, hes comes with.. she no fuk on you!

you could have told your mom "it's not very religious of you to get a divorce". See what she says.

I call her a control freak, but the thing is she's very religious and stands up to her beliefs. Im not religious at all. I respect her beliefs but she always cancels out what I have to say, thats why we bunt heads all the time.
    She is a control freak. Just because she uses her religion as an excuse doesn't mean it's less controlling. If she doesn't believe in pre-marital sex, then she shouldn't have it. Otherwise it's none of her business.

Quote Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
    you could have told your mom "it's not very religious of you to get a divorce". See what she says.
    Except that the first divorce was performed by God, if you believe in the invisible man in the sky.

If thats the csd er than tell her yo give you the drcency of respecting yours, if she cant than its her problem

Yah but she's my mom! I don't wanna ignore her. But then again I don't wanna hear her beliefs when she can't even accept what I have to say. I just wish my mom was happy for me and could accept how things are

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast