+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Making a New Friend

Making a New Friend

Has anyone ever just suddenly developed a friendship out of the blue with someone they havent met before. I know the whole internet/getting to know ppl gets looked at in a very bad light alot of the time. But this is actually in the workplace where you are kinda protected.

At work after I had been on holiday, a girl had posted a msg on our Intranet Bulletin Board asking if anyone had been to Sharm El Sheik-Egypt recently and could give her some advice on the place. That very same week I had just returned. I sent her an email explaining I had been and could tell her all the details about it if she liked, not wanting to bombard her incase many people had replied.

She responded wanting to know everything, which I obliged in great detail, even putting to rest her concerns of the area. She wanted to go for her Honeymoon.

Anyway we kinda got discussing mine + her travel history and gradually mentioned what kinda ppl we are etc. These werent just very short emails, like we all do at work instead of chit chat. They were very long emails, asking questions and generally discussing loads.

I found myself looking forward to reading her emails, they were very thought provoking in the beginning. Its been on my mind today so thought Id post and see what other ppls experiences or opinions ofthis kinda thing is.

We have mentioned loads of things about each other, things I probably wouldnt explain to people out loud. Joked about my criteria for girls, even told her about one i find real lush.

The magical thing I see is that she has really praised me, even before meeting and seeing me. The kind of person I am, and that she cannot believe I am single, that I have all the qualities that they look for. Saying ive a great personality, and a witty person.even tho i dont agree. Thats huge compliments with only seeing me on a holiday photo. Altho my txt language may differ alot from speaking/acting in person. For some reason she said I would be great at internet dating.

Its only been a few weeks and she should know me pretty well now. I got a big shock the other day, previously she had mentioned she had walked past my office and seen my name on the door but didnt come in (she works on 1st floor, i am on the 5th floor, its a v big building).

A girl walked in the office and i instantly said hello when she looked at me, just good manors I thought, thinking she must be new just gonna use the photocopier, but turned out to b the girl who had been emailing me. I was dumb struck when she said hello Im Amy.
    She mentioned later in email, she noticed I was very shocked. Both didnt know what to say, talked for a couple of mins about pretty much nothing and then she left. she told me she is usually a talkative person but cat got her tongue.

Just out of chance yesterday, I mentioned a girl at work who hides under my desk sometimes when I am out the office and jumps out when I return. Amy said she could do with some kind of Elf like that, to keep nudging her awake. I mentioned Harry Potter dobby Elf, and she said she loved him.
    So I printed a pic of dobby, laminated and stuck it under her desk for her to find. I hadnt been to her office before but found her desk before anyone came into work and placed it there.

When she was in work, I emailed her saying did you get your wish of a dobby under your desk, she said I wish, n I told her to have a look. And she was thrilled, apparently these small gestures really make a difference to a girls life, she had felt miserable the previous day so thought it may help.

Later the sameday, i went inside an office right nxt door to her, i was talking wiv someone n knocking on the wall. knowing she was in there. Getting quizzed how on earth i even knew the name of the girl in the nxt office, and would you guess it, in she walks to use the photocopier.
    We mention a couple of things as my friend grasses on me saying i was knocking, and grilled us again how we actually know each other etc. We didnt give anything away.
    I did notice this time, she turned bright red when she had walked in.
    I was gonna go in her office but she got disturbed by some solicitor boss of hers and so thought best not too. Later she emailed saying i should have waited n come in to see where she had put Dobby. Only 2ppl work in that office and her colleague wasnt in so it wouldnt have been awkward.

We have lots of things in common, find her really interesting, and kinda just got to know each other by chance. Havent really talked properley in person, but it feels so good knowing her.

Its sureal how its all happened. What do ppl think? Any advice or opinions

Lee

that is a cute story. i think it's great!

ahh, this has happen before to me, not many time, just twice, still it sounds very familiar except you guys are in the same country, let alone in the same building, you're very lucky.

i think t'is great and i think you should go for it, why don't you find a time outside of working hour, ask her out to lunch or sumin'. that way you guys can really talk.

i know how things can be very awkward when you meet someone from the internet after talking to em about EVERYTHING and i mean everything, but after you guys warm to each other and realise that you're actually in reality, it will sink in and omg, does it feel so good.

sorta like me and my ex, first time we met, man was it so awkward, we barely talked properly for the first few hours, i think i spent most of the time staring at him and couldn't believe that i was there with him. after a few more meets, we started to feel so much more comfortable to each other and i have to say, i don't regret any part of my relationship at all. just dissapointed that he gave up after fifteen months and not only that, left me for another girl.

but life goes on and i can say from my experience that while i was with my ex, it was great, it really was amazing.

good luck!