+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it too late for me? Career/social life advice needed...

Is it too late for me? Career/social life advice needed...

First things first, a couple things about myself. I'm 22, never had a job, very overweight, and generally I'm a lazy slob and I want to change that.

Basically I haven't done anything since graduating high school three years ago this summer 12 and I want to get off my ass and get a career so I won't end up living in the streets when I'm 40. I want to become a wrestler (naturally) for the WWE (unrealistic, I know) but if that doesn't pull through I want to have a backup career. I've been thinking of going to Lance Storm's training academy and once graduating there, going to Booker T's training academy and once done with that, applying for FCW and hopefully making it to the big WWE. That sounds extremely unrealistic and I know I'm reaching for the stars but that's what my plan is.

I've been thinking of becoming a registered nurse or an accountant but my dream career (besides being a wrestler) is to work in the gaming industry. However, I don't want to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars at schools like Full Sail or Art Institutes. I will just end up in debt if I tried to go to those schools. Is it likely to end up working at a good gaming stuido (like Rocksteady, Rockstar, or Ubisoft) by just studying game art or whatever at local colleges? Eh, I'm just confused with that. Also, isn't the gaming industry really competitive?

What are some good money-making careers that aren't really competitive but easy to get a job in?

Soon I'm going into the military (once I get in shape) and use their GI Bill/Kicker so I can get some good assistance while I get my schooling underway.

Here's my top career goals from most favorite to least:
    -- Wrestler
    -- Military (MOS I can use in the civilian world)
    -- Game Industry (artist, designer, programmer) [wrestling fallback]
    -- Nursing/Accountant [gaming fallback]

I really need help with my social life too. I don't have any friends, at all. How can I meet some new people? How can I be interesting to people? How can I people want to be around me? What do girls like in a guy?

You and every other guy your age thinks big about careers.....the reality is that shit just doesn't drop into your lap, it takes years of hard work. People who do make it big, are people who were willing to take on any kind of job ( or jobs), and every bit of spare time they had went to studying. You make friends at the jobs you take on...work replaces school. When it comes to work, you have to socially interact with your co-workers....it's an important part of the workplace....to develop some kind of relationship with people.

Start with one goal at a time. Personally, I'd start with losing weight. I used to be overweight, but I've picked up a much healthier life style now. Pick up a sport or something that requires significant physical movement. I'd recommend biking just to throw an idea out there.

After I've lost my weight and become "normal" weight, my self-esteem was much greater. Having self-confidence is half the battle in anybody's social life. Just get out there and find some motivation to get yourself going. If I could do it, so can you.

Hi,
    I'm a computer programmer. I have a 4 year degree in computer science and I have been programming since I was 11 years old (about 1982).

- The gaming industry is VERY competitive. You need to have some awards in your belt for game design or something before you can even apply to a giant like Ubisoft. You'll need a 4 year degree at an official college, and be at the top of your class before they will consider your resume.

- Wrestling is highly competitive also. You will not have your own life, all your spare time will be working out, at wrestling meets, then doing PR. Forget about a girlfriend. They only take the best of the best, and you need to have "crowd appeal". Something that makes you unique so the crowds want to see you.

- A steadier job is in nursing or accounting, but not all positions pay well. Your pay is basically based on the size of the company. Bigger companies can pay your more, but you have to put up with more bullsh*t and longer work hours. You may end up with a higher salary, but get less pay per hour due to the overtime you work. Choose carefully.

- Registered Nurses are being laid off in the US because they are too expensive. They are being replaced with Nursing Assistants or other cheaper, less educated labor. Tread carefully here. You may educate yourself out of a job.

- If you want to get paid well you need the energy and stamina, as well as the formal training, and experience, for whatever job you choose. Make sure you have the energy to work LONG hours every week. Say 50-80 hours per week.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by TSA09 View Post
    What are some good money-making careers that aren't really competitive but easy to get a job in?
    LOL, well there are oil rigs.

If you are heading for military I recommend anything technical/engineering. There are plenty of jobs for ex-military who are handy with electronics and mechanical areas. Mechatronics is a huge, growing career option if you have a head for math and building things. Plus, there are loads of interesting, qualified people to learn from. I understand that mechanics for very large equipment are very much in demand--all the experienced guys are approaching retirement.

I wouldn't recommend computers alone. There are so many starving programmers/web designers out there. Comps are basically a tool to do more interesting things. Avoid business/MBA also. So many of those and they can't find jobs.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

You know what type of jobs are in deparate need of people? Trades, like carpenters, mechanics, etc. This self entitled generation doesn't even know how to change a bloody tire, but they can sure play a mean game of Call of Duty.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    This self entitled generation doesn't even know how to change a bloody tire, but they can sure play a mean game of Call of Duty.
    LOL, thx due this post.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Start by getting a job, any job, no one is going to hire a student with no work experience. Basically you're going to have a hard time getting anywhere unless you can show prospective employers you can at least do a basic job for a decent length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    LOL, well there are oil rigs.

If you are heading for military I recommend anything technical/engineering. There are plenty of jobs for ex-military who are handy with electronics and mechanical areas. Mechatronics is a huge, growing career option if you have a head for math and building things. Plus, there are loads of interesting, qualified people to learn from. I understand that mechanics for very large equipment are very much in demand--all the experienced guys are approaching retirement.

I wouldn't recommend computers alone. There are so many starving programmers/web designers out there. Comps are basically a tool to do more interesting things. Avoid business/MBA also. So many of those and they can't find jobs.
    I thought about doing engineering but I absolutely hate math. Maybe construction would be a good option for me. Basically any kind of MOS that I can do in the real world is what I'm looking for.

Eh, some social advice is needed. Today I received a friend request on FB from a girl I don't know and I accepted (don't want to be rude). She sent me a message asking how I was doing and said thanks for the add. Now, I thought this might be a fake account but she has a few pictures and she's added people that live in the same area as me, so it might be a real account. I can't think of anything witty to say, so some help please? (Yes, I realize how inexperienced I am with talking to people.)

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I thought about doing engineering but I absolutely hate math.
    You should rethink this. You are very young at 22 and math is not hard to learn, especially when learned in a practical context. I can't think of a single high-paying job that doesn't require math of some kind. Even the game programming you mention uses math, if you want to be any good at it.

MIT offers a great set of online course through iTunes U. Check them out. Start slow, esp if you are a math-phobe, but keep at it. You'll thank me in 10 years.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

You should rethink this. You are very young at 22 and math is not hard to learn, especially when learned in a practical context. I can't think of a single high-paying job that doesn't require math of some kind. Even the game programming you mention uses math, if you want to be any good at it.

MIT offers a great set of online course through iTunes U. Check them out. Start slow, esp if you are a math-phobe, but keep at it. You'll thank me in 10 years.
    Well I hope it doesn't take me 10 years to get a degree in engineering. In high school I took the lazy math classes. I looked online about math classes you take in engineering and it's stuff like calculus, algebra, etc. I just don't want to start pursuing an engineering degree and drop out six months later.

Eh, some social advice is needed. Today I received a friend request on FB from a girl I don't know and I accepted (don't want to be rude). She sent me a message asking how I was doing and said thanks for the add. Now, I thought this might be a fake account but she has a few pictures and she's added people that live in the same area as me, so it might be a real account. I can't think of anything witty to say, so some help please? (Yes, I realize how inexperienced I am with talking to people.)
    It's a scam. Usually its a hooker looking for clients.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So take a precalc math class and see how it goes. Don't sign up for an entire program just yet.

Wish Frasbee was posting more, he's an electrician. I know he had to do some math, tho nothing too onerous. There are levels.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Neat, got any more info on that? I found a collection of disjunct lectures, is this what you were hinting at or is there an actual course?

Most archi math is just measurements and geometry, and even curvature is ideally kept simple to be easily produced on site - so haven't really felt as though I've used math much since high school, but it's definitely something I don't want to lose out on, and at least now I can apply it to my work as opposed to just doing it for the sake of finding a final value.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Neat, got any more info on that? I found a collection of disjunct lectures, is this what you were hinting at or is there an actual course?
    MIT offers many full courses online. If you can't find it on iTunesU, go to the OpenCourseWare site directly. In fact, I just read before xmas MIT is offering certificates to ppl who complete the online courses (!). Why would you ever take a course anywhere else (assuming you don't need help, I suppose. I don't know more, just a quick email alert I got but haven't looked into further.

[url]http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm[/url]
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast