+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Quitting weed

Just one last point, if you haven't fought an addiction yourself, don't tell others how to do it. Unless you have overcome an addiction, you have no idea how hard it is.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    Update your knowledge people, they have proven pot is addictive.
    Physically? I'd like to see that study, and who funded it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Physically? I'd like to see that study, and who funded it.
    Yes, physically. Sure it's not addictive for everyone who smokes occasionally. Some people can have an occasional cup of coffee or glass of coke, others go spastic without their daily caffeine, same thing with pot. They have found that as the potency has increased so has the chances of becoming addicted. The withdrawal symptoms are similar to those of ciggarettes. Loss of appetite and insomnia (they are the ones that hit me the worst), becoming easily agitated, anxiety etc etc.

Habits I can break. I fall into bad eating habits, I can make myself eat better again. I get lazy with the housework, I can push myself to get off my butt and do something. I stop exercising, I can come up with a way to make exercise interesting again. Pot is not that easy because it's not just a habit.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Listen, sure: you can define "addiction" any way you choose, but when most medical professionals refer to "addiction", we mean that a person has withdrawal symptoms that could kill them. By your definition of "addiction", I suppose I am a sex addict. And my daughter exhibits those same symptoms when I take her cell phone away.
    Last edited by vashti; 16-02-12 at 06:32 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Listen, sure: you can define "addiction" any way you choose, but when most medical professionals refer to "addiction", we mean that a person has withdrawal symptoms that could kill them. By your definition of "addiction", I suppose I am a sex addict. And my daughter exhibits those same symptoms when I take her cell phone away.
    Really? Please tell me what is likely to kill a cigarette smoker when they quit or when someone has to give up coffee what the withdrawal symptoms are dangerous to them? Sorry, Nursey, you don't know everything.... Unless cigarettes aren't addictive either.

Oh and if you literally can't eat or sleep when you go without sex, you need help.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Lol

Okay, maidenminx. I can see you aren't up for the stress of quitting yet. Hang in there.

Good point about the cigarettes, though. I never really consider smokers to be drug addicts, either. Nor the coffee drinkers. Those things don't alter personalities.

Lol

Okay, maidenminx. I can see you aren't up for the stress of quitting yet. Hang in there.

Good point about the cigarettes, though. I never really consider smokers to be drug addicts, either. Nor the coffee drinkers. Those things don't alter personalities.
    Really? You don't consider nicotine or caffeine to be drugs? I find that very surprising from a health professional. Sure they don't alter personalities but they do alter brain chemistry which is what makes them addictive... Unless you don't agree they are addictive. Also, the only thing I can think of that is likely to kill you if you are a hardened addict and quit cold turkey is alcohol. I have never heard of heroin, speed or crack addicts dying from going cold turkey.
    Vashti, please don't treat me like an idiot on the matter of drugs and addiction. I do know what I am talking about. I am very well read on the matter and I have only been using the Internet to aid my research for the last couple of years.

Oh and one last point, if pot is not addictive, why are their marijuana rehab centers?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Oh and one last point, if pot is not addictive, why are their marijuana rehab centers?
    If you build it, they will come.

You need not be so defensive and aggressive about treatment for withdrawal. I'm sure you are aware that it is a rare addict who comes in for detox with only a single drug in their body, and withdrawal from poly-addictions IS, indeed, life-threatening.

I think we are simply going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

But, just to quickly answer a question you asked before, the National Institute of Drugs and Alcohol (America) did the research and found that marijuana is addictive in about 10% of users, and that those who start a daily habit in their teens are most likely to become addicted. For what it's worth, I started casually at 13 and my daily habit kicked off at 16. So yeah.

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your daughter has a lot of sex when you take her cell phone away? That's weird.

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think we are simply going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

But, just to quickly answer a question you asked before, the National Institute of Drugs and Alcohol (America) did the research and found that marijuana is addictive in about 10% of users, and that those who start a daily habit in their teens are most likely to become addicted. For what it's worth, I started casually at 13 and my daily habit kicked off at 16. So yeah.
    That study is pretty misleading (I just read it). It's big selling point was that animals would self-administer the drug after a while. From there, many people (some with an agenda) used it to prove that marijuana was addictive. To me, it just proves that marijuana makes you feel good.

That's not the only study I have read. Basically, to sum up everything else I have read, they used to think that marijuana didn't cause tolerance building and now they have found that it does. On top of that a small percentage of people will exhibit the same symptoms of addiction/dependance as any other drug and that there are physical withdrawal symptoms.

What I know for absolute fact, I do have a physical reaction to quitting. Not only do I lose my appetite but when I force myself to try and eat, swallowing literally hurts. I am edgy and jittery like I have drunk too much coffee. I get cold sweats. Then on the psychological side, I am snappy and anxious. I have trouble thinking. If that isn't withdrawal I don't know what it is.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Your daughter has a lot of sex when you take her cell phone away? That's weird.
    Silly! I wish I could thank your post.

There are definitely THC withdrawal symptoms. I'd consider marijuana to be a pretty serious drug that can cause all kinds of issues, including dissociative disorders.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_withdrawal[/url]

That's because it's legal. You can walk into the shop and get your fix. The effects of the drug itself may not be mind altering, but the effects of not having the drug is. E.g. Someone gasping for a cigarette become irritable, moody and very aggressive. Traits which are not present when you got your tobacco fix. As for the quitting weed, it's been near a month now... and all I can say is THANK **** for 5htp. I smoked because I felt constantly depressed with a constant thump in my chest. Smoking would allow me to enjoy life for awhile. Now, I take my 5htp and I feel how I presume a normal functional person would feel. I can actually ****ing laugh sober.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast