+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Taking care of a child....

Taking care of a child....

..not my child (nephew, actually). I spent about 5 days per week watching him for the 6 hours it takes for my sis to travel to, complete a day of and return from school.

I used to really hate babies and tried to stay away from them. But this baby has changed my life; I seem to have displayed the kind of paternal instincts I didn't think I would ever possess.

Here's the problem: Whenever the baby does something that babies tend to do to hurt themselves (in a not really serious way), I can't help but feel kind of sad whenever he does. I tear up sometimes, honestly; seeing this baby get hurt, even when I know he'll be ok, makes me really sad.

Any general advice?

Just want to add that I feel comfortable sharing that, however pansy it might sound, since my online "rep" really doesn't matter and I do legitimately try to use or consider advice I receive online.
    Last edited by Love'sReject; 09-01-12 at 11:48 AM.

How old is your nephew?

I must admit, I have no advice for you. The only baby I have any serious experience with is my own and his infant times were not typical.

I do love bubbies though and wish I could justify having more.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

He is 9 months.

Naaaaawwww! They are so cute at that age. So he'd be crawling and sitting and eating some solids?
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Trying to walk already, actually (love the little man, who's actually rather bigger for his size). His mom's been trying to really cut back on the formula and go with jarred stuffs.

naaaawww!! so cute!

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sounds like you just have a soft spot for your nephew, no biggie. I never cried when my nieces or nephews would hurt themselves, but I would panic and do whatever I could to make them comfortable. It felt awful to see them hurt.

Everybody just handles their reaction to it differently.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    ..not my child (nephew, actually). I spent about 5 days per week watching him for the 6 hours it takes for my sis to travel to, complete a day of and return from school.

I used to really hate babies and tried to stay away from them. But this baby has changed my life; I seem to have displayed the kind of paternal instincts I didn't think I would ever possess.

Here's the problem: Whenever the baby does something that babies tend to do to hurt themselves (in a not really serious way), I can't help but feel kind of sad whenever he does. I tear up sometimes, honestly; seeing this baby get hurt, even when I know he'll be ok, makes me really sad.

Any general advice?

Just want to add that I feel comfortable sharing that, however pansy it might sound, since my online "rep" really doesn't matter and I do legitimately try to use or consider advice I receive online.
    I'm a dad twice, and trying for a third...

It doesn't make you a pansy. It just means you have the proper instincts.

I'll share something.

My second son was born with his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck twice and his left arm once. He was pulled from his mother purple and non-responsive. He had no heartbeat and was not breathing, though he was grimacing. He had to be resuscitated by the Neonatal Crash Team at the hospital...

I've had a knife pulled on me in a fight. I've had a gun pointed at me in anger. I've been less than 2' from an angry diamondback rattler in the dark, and none of those things frightened me as much as when I thought my son might die.

Wow, that's all so horrifying....I didn't realize until this nephew of mine how much worse an infant's suffering is, like in that situation with your son.

Wow HIA. That's intense. There's nothing scarier than thinking your child might not make it.

My li'l guy was born premmie and I will never forget how heart wrenching it was to see him for the first time at 24 hours old in a humidicrib with tubes coming out of him everywhere.
    Other side of the coin, the first time I held my son (at 6 days old) was the most magical moment of my life.

Love's Reject if youre having trouble picking up girls...just take your nephew out in his pram! Seriously...theyre major magnets over here with single women!
    Also following on from the other quotes above, it really is touching to hear your story. My eldest was a little early, he was in intensive care for 3 days nothing overly serious like HIA's scenario. Funny how we put things into perspective when faced with a dilemma like this.
    Will give mine an extra hug after that (if theyll let me!). Thanks for sharing your thoughts are v touching.