+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Insomnia

Insomnia

Hello everyone Okay, so I have crazy problems with insomnia.

During college I'm usually okay because I have a set schedule. And I'm usually so tired from studying and doing everything else that I'm pretty tired by the time I go to bed.

But during vacations, I completely screw up my sleeping schedule. I don't mean to, but I find myself staying up late one night, and then it just snowballs from there. I've been going to bed around 7 or 8 and waking up at 3 or 4.

I go back to college on Sunday and I don't know how to get my sleeping schedule back on track. I know after a day of classes, it will probably naturally get back on track, but it would be GREAT to get it back on track before school starts.

I just don't know what to do. Should I keep trying to push back my bed time? All nighter? Force myself to wake up at 7 am?

First tip (and I will admit I don't know how relevant it is) do NOT nap during the day.

Second tip, exhaust yourself during the day. Keep busy. Go for a run if need be.

Lastly, after exhausting yourself and not napping, go to bed at your desired time. If you have trouble drifting off and have a smart phone, get yourself the lightning bug app. It plays rain type noises to give you something other than your thoughts to focus on to get to sleep. (I used to take up to an hour to get to sleep, with lightning bug I am always asleep within half an hour)

Good luck
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Count resting as sleep. So if you are reclined and inactive it's similar physically to sleep.
    Alpha waves like REM happen when we cuddle, groom each other (animals) and coo. Those are required for your brain to produce meletonin and pheremones to help you naturally.
    Life style change will help insomnia, there are sacrifices and it's more about time management and quality than a schedule.

Herbs seem to work and then become less efficient. I work nights, so use something every day. It's just the way it is.
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

In addition to what MaidenMinx mentioned, avoid drinking coffee a couple of hours before bed time.
    http://texttheloveback.com

Don't take Ambien. It's a hypnotic. I got into a car accident under the influence of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenofjade View Post
    Don't take Ambien. It's a hypnotic. I got into a car accident under the influence of it.
    Ambien works well for me, I just don't take it every night. I alternate it with other aids.
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

Quote Originally Posted by skygreen View Post
    Valerian root is a traditional remedy for insomnia and sleep issues.
    [url]http://bit.ly/HM0xd1[/url] is a good read on it if you into natural herbal stuff.
    I have tired Ambien (side effects were aweful), not eating after 8pm, working out before bed, not working out before bed, masturbating before sleep, a quite walk around the block, and the only things I ever found that really helped was valerian.

I may advice you to plan a perfect and fixed time for going to bed. This can help you to change your habit and also get rid of irregular sleeping problems. Keep your bedroom clean and tidy as suggested by doctors since it can help you to have a good sleep. Always try to avoid a heavy meal before going to sleep. Try this tips, hope it works for you.

We do have the same problem. Let me share you my story. When I was a kid my brother gave me a huggy bear toy, we named it Totty. My brother died already. I was 16 when insomia started hitting me, what I just do is every night before I sleep, I pray, I'll tell everyone in the house a goodnight!! I'll drink a glass of fresh milk of course, then lastly I'll hug Totty.

Chris0516 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chica View Post
    Hello everyone Okay, so I have crazy problems with insomnia.

During college I'm usually okay because I have a set schedule. And I'm usually so tired from studying and doing everything else that I'm pretty tired by the time I go to bed.

But during vacations, I completely screw up my sleeping schedule. I don't mean to, but I find myself staying up late one night, and then it just snowballs from there. I've been going to bed around 7 or 8 and waking up at 3 or 4.

I go back to college on Sunday and I don't know how to get my sleeping schedule back on track. I know after a day of classes, it will probably naturally get back on track, but it would be GREAT to get it back on track before school starts.

I just don't know what to do. Should I keep trying to push back my bed time? All nighter? Force myself to wake up at 7 am?
    I personally know what it is like to have insomnia. I have been dealing with sleeping problems since I was a teen(15yrs.-old), thirty years ago. I tried taking Ambien, but that didn't help.

take about 400 to 500 of magnesium citrate before going to sleep. My insomnia was nonexistent after that.

Vacations always disturb your sleeping schedule. I think once out start going to college again, you will be able to get a good night's sleep because of the physical and mental activities that you will have to perform throughout the day.

Exercise in the moorning and chill out before sleep with no PC or TV