+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How would one know when they're "mature"?

How would one know when they're "mature"?

I've received endless criticism, hate, been an object onto which some have projected their inner frustrations, contemplated and survived suicide plans, find myself in and out of depression and social maladjustment, feelings of self-doubt and moments of confidence..I don't (or at least try not to) profess to being anything; not a "smart","nice","funny" guy, I just prefer not to describe myself at all for fear of being pretentious.

Since I've turned 21 last summer, visions of my future pervade my dreams and thoughts constantly. I indulge in video games, laziness and gossiping sometimes admittedly, but as far as the former 2, I feel like I do those at a rate far less than my peers (I don't play my video games anymore than 1 hr. a day and most of the week not even that; I stay active watching a baby for 6 hours a day, biking, playing street hockey, reading, studying, debating on Internet forums of various sorts and without vitriol or immaturity for the most part). I try to get my priorities straight and I don't do things like drinking that would jeopardize them.

I do have my faults and a lot of them so I'm not trying to project myself as a saint or innocuous; my point is, When does one know they're mature?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    When does one know they're mature?
    This may sound trite, but you are probably mature when you stop asking about it. Mature people usually don't worry about whether or not anyone else thinks they are mature.

Other hallmarks of maturity are being self-supportive, capable of rational thought, the ability to exercise self-control, and able to handle responsibility, including monetary.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

you aint mature at 21 yet, drinking has nothing to do with priorities being stright. talkings of suicide in video games and lazyness are a red flag you need to grow the hell up.

im not sorry either, its the truth, and truth hurts. your mature when you feel old and your not.....

when your doing laundry at 8pm friday night after workin 11.5 hour days and a easy date with a woman consits of pizza made at home and tv.....then come talk us.

Complaining about your life hardly seems mature to me.

Besides, why would I take your advice when you have serious reading comprehension issues?

Furthermore, so being a glutton at home with a supposed women is apparently more mature than being contemplative and trying to develop spiritually, morally, and in various other ways? Good to know that that's the life I should come to expect; a peasant job with using the Internet to vent about an unfulfilled life. Right.
    Last edited by Love'sReject; 19-01-12 at 03:23 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    hallmarks of maturity are being self-supportive, capable of rational thought, the ability to exercise self-control, and able to handle responsibility
    This^. Vash is wise. So, LR, how do you rate on these criteria?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

In my opinion, maturity is a journey, not a destination.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    This^. Vash is wise. So, LR, how do you rate on these criteria?
    I think that is a perfect question; and to which I have no answer. I'll think long and hard about those.

Quote Originally Posted by dem862 View Post
    In my opinion, maturity is a journey, not a destination.
    Interesting perspective. I find myself agreeing with it.

so much sand......

Whatever that means.