+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Are my standards just too high?

Are my standards just too high?

Hi there. I'm an 18 year old male and I've been single for a number of months now since my girlfriend broke up with me. Since then I've been on a couple unsuccessful dates that usually result in me breaking it off early.

I'm currently not in school, so meeting girls is kind of a problem. Though I do plan on attending college this september, I'd love to be back in the world of dating and relationships as soon as I can. Although meeting girls is tricky at this point in my life, I can't imagine that there is absolutely NO ONE that I can meet and be interested in.

I believe the problem isn't so much that I CAN'T meet girls right now, it's more that I'm just not attracted to many that I talk to. Since my last relationship it feels as though my standards have been raised, and lowering them seems kind of wrong.

These standards don't seem that unreasonable. In a girl I like to see wit, a sense of humor and an open mind. What's holding me back is probably my idea of beauty. There is a fair balance between these standards and the way a girl looks, and I worry that my judgement of a girl's image is interfering with my ability to flirt and be talkative with them.

I know that looks are not that important compared to the other things I listed, but it's an irrational feeling I can't overlook. How attractive a girl is to me is just kind of important. It's almost as important as wit, a sense of humor and an open mind. I'm not saying a girl whose personality is wrong for me but is attractive will win me over, but it's becoming evident that I need to be attracted to a girl on all levels, and that includes how she looks.

Is this...bad? Is it wrong that I could meet a girl who makes me laugh and has a brain but I won't date her because she isn't physically attractive to me? And if it isn't wrong, then is it unreasonable that I could meet a girl who has these standards but also is attractive? If that's the case, then why is it taking so long for this to fall into place for me? What can I do to meet a wider variety of female personalities so I can meet someone who sparks my interest on all levels?

sadie_genie Guest
    Are your standard too high? NotReally. (excuse the pun)

If you can get a girl of a certain standard, you can get it again. Also be aware that some aspect of physical beauty is not really a matter of the level of standards; it is just YOUR standards or preferences. Perhaps there are some physical traits you like in your ex that you would like to see in other girls; nothing wrong with that.

Welcome to the adult world of dating....you have to kick a lot of tires to find the best ride, so you shouldn't get discouraged after only a few failed dates.....at least you have gone out on dates. Why not find a job where there are lots of good looking girls work at. You don't need to be looking for a full time GF at this time if you are off to college soon. You should be dating lots of girls and having fun.....enjoy your freedom.

well you always want to do better than your last relationship.....that is why people go on dates, break up, become single, try again. We ultimately learn from our last relationships and strive to do better until we fine "the one".

..but like everyone said, just keep dating because you never know.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WzyxybYEGM[/url]