+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Having a "soft spot"

Having a "soft spot"

Just throwing a question out there.

My boyfriend and I were recently chatting, and during the conversation he said that he had a "Soft spot" for a female friend. I know her too and she is a nice girl and is married. He has known her since they were children and often go to soccer games together. She has said before that he is like a step-brother to her. But him saying that he has a soft spot does that mean he wishes it was more? Maybe he was too shy to ask her out? I don't feel jealous or anything like that, but would like to hear any thoughts?

Yes, he probably wishes it were more. That doesn't mean he will cheat on you. You can't assume that in this case, unless he has a history of cheating.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Hmmm,... I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. That doesn't seem like enough to go on to say that he wishes it were more. I mean, I have a friend whom I would say I have a "soft spot" for, but I only think of her as a sister. I mean, I care about her her, sure, so yeah, I have a soft spot for her... but I don't really want more out of it. I would say anyone who cares about someone would have a "soft spot" for them. Whether it's platonic, romantic, etc. Some soft spots are just bigger than others, so it depends on how big this "soft spot" of his is.

Ask him what he means by "soft spot"..

If you aren't "jealous"....why are you caring so much about it?

Quote Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
    If you aren't "jealous"....why are you caring so much about it?
    Bam! Bcgirl hits a home run! Well done, lass!
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Fair Point BCGirl. I guess in some way I am a little! They have known each other for over 20 years so i guess I am a little insecure that way. But I don't want to be... I really like her and would never break up their friendship. I guess I shouldn't read into these things too much. A soft spot may not mean romantic as a previous poster said.