+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Relationship anxiety

Relationship anxiety

Hi all,

I've always been a worrier, but lately after a string of dating bad guys or guys who just completely blow me off I have constant relationship anxiety. I'm always worried that I do something wrong which will lead to scaring the guy I really like off. I overanalyze everything and I have no idea how to stop this.

I've had guys do some terrible stuff to me so obviously this is somewhat stemming from that but I've been dating a really nice and cool guy for a while but an constantly afraid that he is losing interest in me. I know he's probably not but somehow that thought is always in the back of my mind and I can't stop the snow-balling of destructive thoughts.

I don't want to be like this because it is ruining possible good relationships. Any tips besides to stop worrying constantly? I can't keep my mind off of this no matter how hard I try. I try to keep myself busy but it doesn't always work. I can only ignore these thoughts for so long.

HELP ME! I'm sure others have had issues like this. How do you deal with your relationship anxiety?

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitrockcity View Post
    Hi all,

I've always been a worrier, but lately after a string of dating bad guys or guys who just completely blow me off I have constant relationship anxiety. I'm always worried that I do something wrong which will lead to scaring the guy I really like off. I overanalyze everything and I have no idea how to stop this.

I've had guys do some terrible stuff to me so obviously this is somewhat stemming from that but I've been dating a really nice and cool guy for a while but an constantly afraid that he is losing interest in me. I know he's probably not but somehow that thought is always in the back of my mind and I can't stop the snow-balling of destructive thoughts.

I don't want to be like this because it is ruining possible good relationships. Any tips besides to stop worrying constantly? I can't keep my mind off of this no matter how hard I try. I try to keep myself busy but it doesn't always work. I can only ignore these thoughts for so long.

HELP ME! I'm sure others have had issues like this. How do you deal with your relationship anxiety?
    It's possible he is getting bored of you.

That's how things work sometimes. You can't worry about it. If he's going to get bored of you, it's going to happen. If you obsess about it, that's where you go wrong. Realize that you're a great person with a lot of things to offer someone. If you get warning signs that a guy doesn't see that, move on.

The difference between people happy in relationships and those that aren't is the ability to recognize a bad fit, and the ability to have the self-confidence to just move on. Being single isn't a sin. Being in a bad relationship is.

It does sound like clinical anxiety. You might also have PTSD. You should work with a therapist who will use cognitive-behavioral therapy to help you deal with your unrealistic thinking. You might also have low self-esteem and you seem insecure. You need to work through these issues to realize you are a healthy female and you deserve to be in a healthy, loving relationship with someone who loves you for who you are.