+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Started marriage counseling today

Incongnito you can choose to go in with a positive attitude which will help you to succeed in what you want to accomplish or you can go in with a nagative attitude which isn't really productive to accomplishing much of anything.

Whether this helps you and your wife to come together depends on your's and hers goals and willingness to listen and change up poor attitudes that have become habit.

Be positive, strive for productive meetings that teach you both.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    I bet your wife is angry because shes very unhappy. Everytime ive seen a couple do counseling its resulted in termination of the relationship.
    That's sad. I'd hate to think that I'm spending my money for nothing. If it hadn't been for at least one couple that I personally know trying counseling and remaining together I'd probably not have tried it at all.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Incongnito you can choose to go in with a positive attitude which will help you to succeed in what you want to accomplish or you can go in with a nagative attitude which isn't really productive to accomplishing much of anything.

Whether this helps you and your wife to come together depends on your's and hers goals and willingness to listen and change up poor attitudes that have become habit.

Be positive, strive for productive meetings that teach you both.
    I'd have given you some rep for that, but I must "spread more around first", lol. Anyway, yeah, I get that you can only accomplish as much as you are willing to try. For me this will be relatively easy because if the counselor points it out then I'll work on it. The problem will be if my wife doesn't work on her end. That is what has been happening for the longest time. I'll try to be more "warm" and outgoing in certain areas, but then she'll get pissed at something as simple as her cooking dinner later than she wanted (which actually happened last week) and treat everyone like we killed her puppy. That immediately puts the brakes on whatever progress I made and I go into emotional disconnect and avoidance.

We'll see whether the counselor saying that same things that I've been saying FOREVER makes any difference because of coming from a different person. Even if it does, its still sad because it means that she thinks less of what I say despite the truth and relevance in/of it.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sounds like you are in this to 'win' from the tone of your posts. I don't think that's what Wakeup means by a positive attitude.

Cliche, but fits: do you want to be right or happy?

Anyway, counselling that leads to a break isn't a waste if its the right decision. If you already know you want to stay married, then you are wasting your time w/counselling, IMO. Just do the things you already know will lead to a better situation and find the self-control to avoid getting each other's back up. Same for your wife, but if your marriage is detente then someone has to extend the olive branch. Again, its not about 'right' its about happy. Like the Nike ads: just do it. B/c motivation for your efforts will come once you start seeing some results. Most people think that motivation works the other way around (motivation comes from results), but that's not true early on. You must prime the pump and your well has been empty for a long time. This will not be a quick fix, as Vash already said.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Sorry, I have to disagree. Sometimes it is about "right", and not so that I can rub it in her face. It is because I have been saying logical, correct observations about her behavior for a long time. She just doesn't like the fact that I speak up instead of simply accepting her anger issues. It was validating to hear the counselor agree that punishing everyone else when you're not actually angry at them is not healthy... like I've been saying forever.

I also didn't mean to sound like I was somehow going to "win". It's just that I know I can do this. Personal change is something I easily do if I have the will. I haven't had the will in a long time because of what I mentioned in my last post. Also, as far as motivation goes, I am motivated already because if a professional voices the things that I have been saying to her forever she might actually listen and the marriage improve. The only problems that I have ever had with her were her anger issues and her lack of sex drive. Money? Nope. Her family? Nope. Control? Well yeah, a little at first, but that was resolved.

I've got no problem working on personal problem areas as long as I am not constantly confronted with the same tired, troublesome issues. Especially the anger.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Okay. But consider that I'm not the one in marriage counselling. +20yrs and going strong. I might actually know something you don't?

Maybe you should bring this up with your counsellor. Which makes me think? *Do* you have any good marriage role-models that you can learn from? That's a very good indicator for successful marriage (parents have good marriage).
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Okay. But consider that I'm not the one in marriage counselling. +20yrs and going strong. I might actually know something you don't?

Maybe you should bring this up with your counsellor. Which makes me think? *Do* you have any good marriage role-models that you can learn from? That's a very good indicator for successful marriage (parents have good marriage).
    Don't take my disagreement as somehow disrespecting you or trying to say that you don't know anything. You said that my tone sounded as though it was about me winning, which is your opinion. I explained that isn't the case, so I don't know why you sarcastically ask if you know something that I don't.

I will definitely bring up my feelings of validation during our sessions. I doubt she'd say it is inappropriate, but if she does then I'll ask for an explanation and go from there. My parents I will try to sum up quickly. They're still together, never split up, no abuse, no major problems that I ever knew about growing up. Do they have problems? Yeah, everyone does. I didn't really pick up on them until I was an adult though.

So you think its all her and your behavior has little to do with your problems? You just want to give the least amount of money possible so hopefully this third party can tell her how wrong she is?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    (from post 18) .... if the counselor points it out then I'll work on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    So you think its all her and your behavior has little to do with your problems? You just want to give the least amount of money possible so hopefully this third party can tell her how wrong she is?
    I'll simply point out my partial quote above instead of jumping down your throat like I planned to do. Your question seems both negative and sarcastic, but no that is not my intent. I wouldn't spend $100 per hour just to be told that I'm right, especially if I'm not going to rub her face in it. Part of it IS about her wrong behavior though, there is no getting around that. She has always been like this with her anger, friends and family have the same stories. The difference with me is that, being married to her, I see it a lot more and can no longer sit idly by while I get white hair from it happening. My hope is that by a professional pointing out that her behavior is not healthy, and hopefully offering alternatives, that she will want to use alternate anger management methods. If she doesn't it is probably over.

As far as my involvement in her problems I am sure that I contribute, but as I pointed out they existed far longer than I've been around.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just don't see you approaching this whole thing in good faith. If you think she needs anger management counselling, then that should be the focus of your efforts. But, you sound very passive-aggressive to me. I'm not saying she doesn't have issues, but I suspect you also don't make an effort to avoid stomping on her hot buttons either. It takes two to tango, as has been said. Could be wrong, tho. Anyway, at least you are getting some professional input, good luck with it.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Thanks Indi. I don't know how I could have put my words and intentions more plainly, but I'll try. We both have things to work on, but my progress with my issues is typically halted by her constant anger. This counselor deals with family counseling, anger management, sex therapy and a few other areas that one or both of us would benefit from. Being passive in this situation would help no one. Being aggressive would be counter productive. If what I am doing is being passive-aggressive I don't see another way to go about it, although I think I am somewhere between aggressive and passive-aggressive. At any rate, yes, her anger is a big issue and part of the reason that this counselor appealed to me was that anger management was one of her specialty areas (along with family counseling and sex therapy). If that factor makes my actions passive-aggressive.... so what?

Also, even though I know you won't believe me, 90% of the time our arguments result from an issue that isn't related to me in the slightest making her angry. She then treats everyone like they had something to do with it by ignoring them, being snappy, mumbling under her breath, slamming everything and giving off a general aura of negativity. That is when I shut myself off, avoid her, and if she continues to treat me badly I occasionally get nasty. Typically I just avoid her and keep silent though. It takes two to tango, but in this case she starts the dance alone and I simply get dragged into it.

I'll give an update when we finally get into the meat of the counseling.

Assertiveness is always better than aggression, passiveness, or passive-aggression. People often confuse assertiveness with aggression, but they are different. Google it up.

I think it's entirely possible that your wife is causing a majority of the problems in your marriage, but proving that to her isn't going to save your marriage. Hopefully the therapist will be able to help her identify and work on her problems without making her feel defensive.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Well vincenzo when grading personalities I have only seen the three categories, passive, passive-aggressive and aggressive. I've never seen assertive as a category, although I do agree with you.

Also, yes, the plan is for both of us to have our problems brought out plainly by the counselor, and hopefully be given healthier options to deal with anger, deal with someone who is angry and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Well vincenzo when grading personalities I have only seen the three categories, passive, passive-aggressive and aggressive. I've never seen assertive as a category, although I do agree with you.

Also, yes, the plan is for both of us to have our problems brought out plainly by the counselor, and hopefully be given healthier options to deal with anger, deal with someone who is angry and so on.
    I took an anger management class years ago. The class used the four categories, and emphasized that the only good one was the assertive one. I'm glad that I took that class, it saved my job and my career.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

And from the perspective of my domestic violence classes it makes sense, though they didn't use that terminology - it's ok to be assertive, to say clearly and without ambiguity what it is you want... in fact it's the preferred method of communication.

It works, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast