+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Abnormal Paps results. HPV?? scared and needing answers

Abnormal Paps results. HPV?? scared and needing answers

I'm 20 and have been getting paps since I was 16, this is the first time one has come back abnormal. I've been schduled for a coloscopy. I'm told it could be cervical cancer, hpv, stds or just a changing vagina?? my question is this, I was 15 when i had sex with my first partner, I didnt get the hpv vac. till i was 16. my second partner (my current boyfriend) was a virgin till I came along. is it possible i could have gotten infected with hpv by my first partner and am just now showing symptoms? if so, can i pass this to my boyfriend and what harm will it do him? or is it possible my boyfriend cheated on me and infected me even after being vaccinated for it?

I had my cycle a week prior to my gyno visit and I had horrible cramps which is very rare for me, also the last few times i've had sex i've also experinced minor cramping? is this related to my abnormal paps?

I know i could be worrying over nothing but i'm feeling really disgusted with myself for possibly having a std!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection, estimates say 80% of sexually active people will contract it at some point. Most people are asymptomatic though, but can still spread it around.

There are around 40 different strains of the virus, and the vaccine only protects against a few of the most common ones. Yes, it is possible you got it from your old boyfriend, and yes, it is even possible you got it from your current one, especially if he has ever engaged in any type of sexual behavior with anyone else, including orally.

Try not to panic. Your cramps are probably not related, and you will get a lot of questions answered on your next doctor visit.

I don't know what a coloscopy is. Will they be looking in your rectum for warts?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection, estimates say 80% of sexually active people will contract it at some point. Most people are asymptomatic though, but can still spread it around.

There are around 40 different strains of the virus, and the vaccine only protects against a few of the most common ones. Yes, it is possible you got it from your old boyfriend, and yes, it is even possible you got it from your current one, especially if he has ever engaged in any type of sexual behavior with anyone else, including orally.

Try not to panic. Your cramps are probably not related, and you will get a lot of questions answered on your next doctor visit.

I don't know what a coloscopy is. Will they be looking in your rectum for warts?
    my current boyfriend has never been sexually active with anyone else. im pretty confident thats the truth. are there any other ways to contract hpv other than sex? what happens to him if i give it to him?

not a colonoscopy... They take sample tissue i believe and dap it with vinigar to see if the cells changle color.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's a colposcopy, I bet. They will swab the areas with vinegar or iodine, which would cause abnormal cells to be more visible so they can take a closer look.

If your boyfriend contracts this, odds are he will be asymptomatic. Otherwise, it depends on the strain you have (or don't). Your doctor will tell you what he needs to do.

HAve you guys not been using condoms? If not, you should have been, and you should start now. And whether your BF is symptomatic or not, he should wear condoms with any future partners so he doesn't spread it any further. (You should too, of course)
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I want to stress that although this is embarrassing and requires close follow up treatment, try to keep some perspective. It's probably NOT going to be an actual catasastrophe.

we use birthcontrol pills and a good majority of the time we use condoms. I let my guard down and let him not use a condom only recently due to the fact that i'm his one and only and I have only been with one other and did infact get an std test done at my last years pap smear before I started sleeping with my current boyfriend just to be on the safe side.

I'm just very surprised that I could possibly have contracted this and completely grossed out by myself.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you think about it, HPV is a skin disease, so any skin-to-skin contact can cause infection. They only test for HPV in the presence of symptoms, so I am not at all surprised that you had a negative STD finding.

Again, try not to freak out. It won't help anything.

Wash your hands before and after sex to prevent the spread of germs.

This post is brought to you by:

LOL!! great add!!

you should be getting a full STI screen every 6 or 12 months. that will pick up any infections, including HPV. Yes Gardasil only protects against some straings of HPV, but it's the strains that have been proven to increase your risk of cervical cancer.

If you've only had sex with Mr Clean for several years and you've been having full pap smears (including HPV tests) for years then how could you have picked up HPV recently?

In any case, relax. Just get the tests and then take the treatments to kill and infection.

if you listen to STI "experts" you wouldn't venture outdoors without a full latex barrier between you and the real world. They must plan on living forever.

There are around 40 different variations of the malware, and the vaccine only defends against a few of the most typical ones. Yes, it is possible you got it from your old partner, and yes, it is even possible you got it from your present one, especially if he has ever involved in any kind of sex-related actions with anyone else, such as by mouth.