+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Achievement Unlocked: 192 lbs to 147 lbs in 5 months. Here's how I did it.

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Achievement Unlocked: 192 lbs to 147 lbs in 5 months. Here's how I did it.

We've had a few weight loss threads on this site, especially for people trying to improve themselves. I figured sharing my personal experience may be helpful. If not, this is my bragging thread.

I was pretty typical in letting myself go. I work about 60 hours a week, have an active social life (that includes a lot of calories from alcohol and bar food) - so I had no idea how in the world to do all that and not look like a Teletubby.

First thing I did was head to the doctor. It really helped gain me perspective, with all the diet plans out there - in what works and what doesn't. For example, the typical is "exercise more". The problem is that cardio workouts (which are the most effective calorie shredders) just won't work long-term for me, since I hate running and most cardio workouts. I did start playing baseball, which helps, but isn't going to burn a ton long-term.

I started an anerobic program, which helps me lose some of the fat and build more muscle, but that's not enough.

So, it was time to take a long, hard look at what I was taking in. I created a spreadsheet (warning: nerdery!) and forced myself to enter every single thing I ate, calorie content and protein content. Even if I binged, went out to eat, etc. - it went on the spreadsheet. It's much easier to keep yourself responsible when you have to own up to being bad. I also entered any exercise that occurred.

Once a week, I would weigh myself and mark that down as well. Over time, it was good to see how eating fewer calories and doing moderate workouts made a difference. If I had a bad week, my weight would show it. It became a huge motivating factor when I could correlate those.

Why protein? We've always heard it makes you fuller. In practice, that's absolutely true. Days I ate more than 80 grams of protein actually showed fewer calories overall than days I didn't.

The hard part about this is obviously the time commitment. You have to look up every single thing you eat - but that becomes another motivating factor. I went from eating 60 calorie/slice wheat bread to 35 calorie/slice. I went from whole milk cheese to skim milk. I can now make a sandwich, with light mayo and cheese - for under 130 calories. That's insane. You start to pick up on some of that stuff you can do if you pay close attention, which this method forced me to do.

Oh yeah - results. Obviously, I lost 45 lbs in 5 months. That's probably a bit more than a normal person should, but it's definitely doable. I've now bought a wardrobe that's actually stylish and fits. Not only do women look at me much differently (I've caught three different women check me out at work today), it actually helps in every aspect of my life. People really do treat you better, I got the promotion at work I was looking for, and have generally been more confident than I've ever been.

I'm obviously proud of this - but this is something anyone can do. Find out what works for you, and get it done. You won't be sorry.

I lost 40 lbs. (220 down to 180lbs.) basically by cutting out sugar, cooking fresh instead of from a box or a can, and riding my bicycle instead of driving whenever I could. I even built a trailer for grocery shopping and trips to the laundromat.

The benefit of bicycling vs. driving isn't just cardiovascular/caloric, it's also time-saving: If you ride your bike 10 miles to work, it'll take you about half again longer than just driving will... so a 20 minute drive becomes a 30 minute bike ride... but eliminates the need to go to a gym or work out at home, thus actually saving you time.

Bike riding is also better for the environment AND saves your fuel costs tremendously. With gas being $4.00 a gallon now, every time I pedal 15 miles I'm saving $3.00+ That adds up quickly.

Just for shits and grins, here's my new ride and my trailer:

[/soapbox]

BTW Mathias - great job.

Good idea posting up here, too.

Good job matt! I've been doing the south beach diet which my dr recommended for me. I used to exercise all the time but since baby came i do not find the time anymore. I've been slowly losing weight and people are giving me compliments and asking how i do it etc. Yay for us!
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Few years ago I worked a very physical job and gained around 10 kg in almost pure muscle. Problem was, after I quit that job I kept eating my intake of calories from that period and of course wasn't working it off. I'm 1m88cm and weighed around 90 kg at that time. It quickly turned into 95 kg and most of the excess being fat. I wasn't fat, but looking very out of shape.

I cut all carbs for 2 months and went swimming everyday for an hour. That lost me around 8 kg. After that, I had gotten used to a very low calorial intake and successively kept losing almost 1 kg a month until I was down to 77kg. Now, I've begun putting on muscle again with a workout routine. A bit of "5 Tibetans", push-ups, crunches, squats and weights at home...very basic, very simple, but it's been working wonders for me after 2 months I'm at 83kg and none of it fat.

Generally I can only say watch what you eat and do any form of exercise. Even just walking regularly for long periods can seriously help, as long as you keep at it.

would love to see before/after pics. can cut out the head if you want

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nice job, but even after I looked at your FB pics, I couldn't see where you didn't look good.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Nice job, but even after I looked at your FB pics, I couldn't see where you didn't look good.
    Thanks.

I put a new profile picture up yesterday - you'll be able to tell the difference, at least.