+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Time is my enemy

Time is my enemy

Hello there,

My girlfriend recently broke up with me but wishes to remain almost best friends.
    We still talk a lot and get along great, however, it hurts me a great deal.

She knows I wish to get back with her and I am unsure just how much she has moved on or would even consider giving it another shot.
    We have broken up for about 2 months now and I still feel absolutely horrible every day.

I know she loves me and I love her, however things just werent working correctly so I definitely agree that a break was needed.

The problem is, she is travelling overseas in the very near future and I want to press her about giving us another chance but I do not want to push her away by doing so.
    She is easily one of my best friends and I am to her.

I am torn about how to approach what is running through my mind.
    I know she has not been with others since we broke up and neither have I.

Travelling overseas, I'm sure that opportunity will arise and I obviously want to avoid it.

I don't think I can be friends with her if she picks up someone else. I just don't think I can handle that emotionally and from a self-esteem perspective.
    I want to tell her again that I want us to be together, and I want to tell her this before she goes.
    If she says she can't, I don't know what to do.

I'm really unsure how to approach this.
    If I tell her that I want to be with her and she disagrees, i can either:

a) I tell her we can't be friends before she goes, she might accept it and move on and then pick up overseas and come back and be over me.
    b) I can wait and be friendly with her online etc until she gets back and then ask her if she picked up, then end our friendship if she did.
    c) I can ask her if she would pick up overseas if the opportunity arises, and depending on her answer, either end our friendship or wait for her and hope that the distances brings us closer.

Option c) is possibly a selfish needy and insecure approach that i would rather avoid and its sure to possibly annoy her, but thats how you feel when you are heartbroken....
    Do i give her an ultimatum or just tell her what i think or what? i know being clingy and insecure is very much a turnoff to women, but being honest is being honest......

Is there an option i am missing?
    She does care for me deeply and losing my friendship she would hate a LOT. we are great friends.

Any support recommendations or more questions to help unfold this are quite welcome.

Another post i can certainly relate to. Heres my honest but hard advice...

Let her go. Why do I say that? You clearly mentioned that by remaining friends with her it is hurting you. You are coming across as someone who isn't very rational at this point, and soon after a break up that is the case for many. There is no judgment in that. I used to be in your same shoes of trying to force my ex into loving me and I too tried remaining her friend. However, my efforts were futile and she eventually started dating someone else. It left me the one hurting in the end. Most girls want to remain friends after a break up because it makes it easier on them to deal with it. You are not respecting yourself or valueing yourself enough to see what this is doing to you. You can't force her to love you, and your attempts may come across as being desperate or manipulative. I know it hurts my friend. I suggest speaking with a relationship therapist... someone who can help you understand your behavior better, and ways to cope with the end of a relationship. You need to heal and let this person live her life. If it didn't hurt you to remain friends then maybe I would suggest other things, but clearly this is damaging you emotionally and now you need help. You took a step towards recovery by reaching out here, but don't let your road end here. You need to move on with life and overcome. Plenty of other fish in the sea. I wish you the best!