+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is it right for me to keep her close?

Is it right for me to keep her close?

Me and my girlfriend of 3 years broke up a week ago we started dating when she was 16 and i was 17. We get along perfectly except for hicups now and then, we broke up because we decided that she was to dependent on me for everything. she had no friends sport or nothing apart from me and her family and university. Im also not ready to commit to a long term relationship because the only person i had ever had sexual relations with has been her and i want to go out and experience all that other stuff not just with one person my whole life, i feel if i dont it will be in the back of my mind my whole life. i said to her i wanna stay close and dont wanna lose contact with her because i do really like being with her and we get along so well but she need to mature a bit more and be independent of me. what im asking is it is right for me keeping her close to me in case we are ready to commit to each other for the long term or will this do more harm than good?
    thanks

So you dumped your girlfriend of 3 years because she doesn't have any friends and you want to have sex with other girls? Yet you expect your ex to sit on the sidelines and watch you play the field while attempting to keep her as a rebound? That's not very fair to her. You either want to be with someone or not. There is no sense keeping her on a leash while you go out and date other people. Doesn't sound like she is the one that needs to mature. This is a problem that a lot of people make when dumping their gfs or bfs, they assume they can dump that person, yet still have the perks of having them in their lives while dating other people. My ex tried this on me... it devasted me beyond belief, and she thought nothing of it. When you dump someone you lose having that person in your life, or at least that's the way it should be. I feel for your ex because now she is in a position where she is going to be played and manipulated. My advice is let her go. Nothing wrong with wanting to date new people if that's what you want, but you should never sideline someone with plans to use them in the future. That's not how love works.

What SelfLove said.

If you felt that you had some fooling around to do then leaving her was right for you but I'm sorry dude, you can't have it both ways...

you should be lucky to have such a loving gf..!!

Actually, I think what will happen is that you think you want to go out and try other women, and thats probably only because your gf gives you so much love and support, but if she left you instead, you'd go crying back to her and wouldn't want anyone else!
    On the other hand, you are both way too young for serious commitments and should really just be adult about things and move on! It's not like you would be getting married any time soon anyway, right? Just be supportive towards her if you really want her gone. If she's having a hard time getting over you and accepting it, just talk to her ALOT, as a friend, till she's emotionally ok and ready to say goodbye.