+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A definition of Love

Quote Originally Posted by Eguigui67
    I agree when you say "People make the word "love" mean what ever they want". But I am not speaking about this love, as you understood, I deal with feelings for someone, falling in love for someone and not for something.
    People who love their dogs and have a girl/boyfriend use the same word to express their feelings but they will explain it differently.

I agree with that too, but it is not only that for me, and that's what I am trying to explain in my website.
    Its hard for me to destinguish the difference between something like "falling in love with someone" and "falling in love with something" ..something meaning an object? I dont understand. I try to use logic all that time and reasoning and I sometimes think that is the reason why I do not get along with females to well hahaha ...they have all these feelings and I can't understand alot of things...I am only human as well but I just am debating on definiton of love and not someones experience with someone else. I read your story and I started to think and put my-self in that situation...I personally felt that I would REALLY care about that person as well. Some people think that I am trying to make the word "love" seeem less important but that is not true.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    Its hard for me to destinguish the difference between something like "falling in love with someone" and "falling in love with something" ..something meaning an object? I dont understand. I try to use logic all that time and reasoning and I sometimes think that is the reason why I do not get along with females to well hahaha.
    This can lead to confusion, I understand that!! I would not say that you can't have feelings for a dog, a pet or your car. I think it's a question of degree (I don't know if it's comprehensible). For exemple, I would more use the verb "to adore" for my car, or music or guitare.

I can understand the use of "love" for pets because there is a reciprocal affection. But, for me, the love for someone (a real person) is the most powerful.

About getting along with females as you said, first, don't use this term "female", it is to bestial, don't u think? Be more romantic !!! After that, I don't know what to say. Everybody is different, and I know that it is very difficult to understand what women are thinking and want (happy Mel Gibson!!). The most important is to listen !!!!!

Eguigui

i guess, there is no common definition of love! Everybody has to gain own expierience with love or rather everybody should definite the word "love" to itself. That's my opinion.
    when you give up, you have already lost!

Quote Originally Posted by Eguigui67
    About getting along with females as you said, first, don't use this term "female", it is to bestial, don't u think? Be more romantic !!! After that, I don't know what to say. Everybody is different, and I know that it is very difficult to understand what women are thinking and want (happy Mel Gibson!!). The most important is to listen !!!!!

Eguigui
    I don't actually use that term around them...but what would you consider romantic anyways? I listen....they don't talk...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws
    i guess, there is no common definition of love! Everybody has to gain own expierience with love or rather everybody should definite the word "love" to itself. That's my opinion.
    that is a very good opinion.

You're right!! That's why I am speaking about Love with a capital L, and I am not saying that this is THE definition of love but mine. And every experiences are different, so I agree that we can not have one meaning for this term.

Eguigui

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    I am VERY sorry but I am having a hard time explaining what is in my head...have you ever had that? . I know this will sound evil to you because of cultural norms but according to the REAL definiton of "love"... etc.

...the feeling seems to be always mutual..its as if the chemical will not release unless both bodies agree to it.

...why I think "the strongest feeling" definiton works. It would apply well to how people use it now. "I love my car" ..fine...strongest feeling towards a car because its you favorite.."I love you" strongest feeling towards a perons...works if you ask me no?
    Ans to P1: I have had that & I think you at least gotta try explaining; this is the point of communication. And we all get better w/practice. And don't think its evil to say I don't love my child. Of course I do. But it may not fit YOUR definition of love. Doesn't matter what you call it, so long as another person understnads your definition.

P2: Interesting thought about both bodies being necessary. Except... how do you explain the nutcases who fall for movie stars they never met?!

P3: I understand your "strongest feeling" definition. But it isn't a very functional one, is my problem. Its OK for an individual definition, but how do you compare your feeling w/anothers (you can't)? And this is THE major problem in most of the posts to this website (what are they feeling/thinking/what do they mean, do they love me, etc).

P.S. My feeling for my son IS "the strongest feeling ever". So what now?

indigosoul Guest
    Yes! And if you like OVs definition of love: "the strongest feeling ever" then you MUST gain enough experience to know what this is. Or at least recognize when it isn't. Is why so many young couples who never dated enough get into trouble later maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by indigosoul
    Yes! And if you like OVs definition of love
    I'm sorry, but what is the meaning of "OVs" ??
    when you give up, you have already lost!

I'm sorry, but what is the meaning of "OVs" ??
    I don't really have one. The word "love" seems more and more relative to me.

Ans to P1: I have had that & I think you at least gotta try explaining; this is the point of communication. And we all get better w/practice. And don't think its evil to say I don't love my child. Of course I do. But it may not fit YOUR definition of love. Doesn't matter what you call it, so long as another person understnads your definition.

P2: Interesting thought about both bodies being necessary. Except... how do you explain the nutcases who fall for movie stars they never met?!

P3: I understand your "strongest feeling" definition. But it isn't a very functional one, is my problem. Its OK for an individual definition, but how do you compare your feeling w/anothers (you can't)? And this is THE major problem in most of the posts to this website (what are they feeling/thinking/what do they mean, do they love me, etc).

P1. I try.

P2. The movie star buffs do not feel that chemical feeling...they just want the person because they are ...how do you say it...oh yea....HAAAAWWWWWWTTT ..lol..Hmm...That is what I would call infatuation.

P3. You don't have to compare your feelings....why would you? as long as they are stongest so that you are confident enough to say "I love _____".

On your P.S. ...... Your motherly feeling? I would call chemical feeling stronger but ..damn you....good point. I would prefer to use my term though with male to female (as in a relationship possibilities) only.

That's a thing

I undersood what you said. You love your son, and I would use this word if I had children, but in my website, I am not speaking about this feeling of love, I deal with the love in a couple, between a man and a woman (but we can also apply that to a gay couple). You can't have the same feelings with your wife as with your children. And I agree that every love stories are different and so are the feelings and that's why love can't have only one definition, but I explained mine.

Defination of love: unconditional and sacrifices.
    :: Dots Dot

Quote Originally Posted by poisoncell
    unconditional
    no such thing. Death is a condition and so is time.

woh, I never seen the understanding of France about love, Franch men are Romantic. so ur definition must be coolest but I can't read it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast