+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A definition of Love

This is fun... Have you ever looked up the "Sapir-whorf hypothesis" or wondered how language can limit the way people think? Have you ever taken a look at how linguistics affect the word love. A few things:

1.) Love (the word) is a failed attempt to express feelings because:

a.) It's difficult to express multiple emotions and multiple variations of these emotions with one word
    b.) It's difficult to use a simple, single word to express a complex emotion.
    Expressing multiple complex emotions with one word is a stupid ass idea in the first place.
    2.) The word love is over-powered and under-powered, in different context, because it is over and under-used, in different context. It's too strong in that people decide that others under a certain age are incapable of feeling "love" and so if someone who isn't yet an adult says they love someone they aren't always taken seriously. It's underpowered/overused/abused by all of the material objects that people apply it to. It's also weakened in that people are given a fake moral obligation to say that they love family.
    3.) Love is actually several concepts. Many languages, including Welsh, Spanish, French, and even Portugese help to seperate these concepts with different words. They have different words for love of family, country, and love as an exaggeration. They have seperate words for love, and what English speakers are forced to refer to as "like-liking."

Anyway, that's a relatively short rant. I've written a few... letters to a certain girl on the subject that if I had the time or the will to I could probably convert into an essay. Anyway, read the Wikipedia article on it. lol.

Or....people just over complicate things.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

The word "love" is only over-complicated because the feeling is over-simplified.

Quote Originally Posted by pxc
    The word "love" is only over-complicated because the feeling is over-simplified.

The feeling is simple and there is absolutly nothing complicated about it.

The single feeling that you chose to bond with the word love, yes, that is simple. You said you could never love your own child by your definition. We need a word for the feeling between mother and child. Other languages have it.

Quote Originally Posted by pxc
    We need a word for the feeling between mother and child.
    We do need a word for it but it sure is not love. Thats taken. I think people here refer to it as "motherly love". I guess its ok if they put it that way.

Exactly!!

That's kinda my point. The word love is taken, and a lot of things that certainly aren't love are being applied to the word when they shouldn't be, and so it confuses people about what love really is.

Yea, basically the word love is abused and its slowly losing its value. You can tell people you love them now and they sometimes wont even take it seriously.

Yup... well I guess that's all on the definition for now. DIE DIE DIE THREAD DIE DIE DIE!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123